South River Meet and Greet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• South River Meet and Greet

Special thanks to Dogfish for hosting the Meet and Greet, hopefully he was able to get a chance to fish!

It was choppy and breezy in the early morning, most of the members were unloaded before sunrise. Condition improved throughout the morning with the occasional shower. It was nice to meet Khobombed (John), Pigpen (Ben), and Nitefly (Steve?). Never got a chance to meet Clm, but I could not miss his kayak at the launch site.

Most kayakers went their separate ways depending on the current weather conditions and explored the river. Most of my day was spent trolling around the Red marker #8. It provided a steep ledge and good structure. Nearby, I picked up a few bait balls and decided to set up camp. I ended up catching 10 rockfish, about half registered in the dink column...the other half were teasing me hovering around the 17 1/2" mark. Finally got my two keepers at 19", nothing to brag about but enough to put a smile on my face.

Most of my fish were caught on a lucky craft plug in "blue crack." Caught a few on a tandem roadrunner rig...and a few on a umbrella rig I have been experimenting with. I was hoping it would see more action, but only time will tell. I hated to miss the lunch due to afternoon obligations...I hope it was a great meal! Looking forward to the next M&G
    2015 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
    2013 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
    2013 OCEAN KAYAK TRIDENT 13

JEREMY D

nice What time did they start to bite I had to roll out early.
    Mike and son Jeffrey Yellow Hobie Pro Angler
    Olive Hobie Outback

Comment

Nice job Sparky. I've got my beauty set up now so I can attempt to troll on the next go around.
      Hobie Outback
      Stand Up Paddle Board
      Pelican 100

Comment

Originally posted by daddyg View Post
        nice What time did they start to bite I had to roll out early.
        First light was good, then things died down till around 11AM. Late morning was steady, I didn't check the tides...but i am sure they starting moving again.
        2015 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
        2013 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
        2013 OCEAN KAYAK TRIDENT 13

JEREMY D

Comment

Nice. Good job on the keepers.

Outback 2015
          Maui

Comment

Sweet job Sparky!
            -Mustafa
            ابو مسقوف AbuMasgouf (Aboo-Mas-goof ): Fish Roast Papa
            2016 Hobie Outback
            2012 Hobie Revolution 13
            "Be humble to whomever you learn from and whomever you teach."-- Imam al-Sadiq (as)

Comment

nice job, wish I had been there.The weather here in south central PA. wasn't bad at all. cloudy, a little breeze but warm, and zero rain. Again I kick myself. Would like to have at least made lunch, as I have yet to meet a snagged line individual that I didn't enjoy talking to! Way to go for it, and I'm glad you got to bag a couple!

Comment

fish are everywhere in the river but i havent been getting many during the day. only morning and evening. great job!

Comment

I stopped by the launch around 11:30 or so with my daughter. Saw spark and a couple others. After chatting for a few, I rolled out.
                  <insert witty comment here>

Comment

Dang, need to make one of these. Out of town right now.

Comment

Nice!! lucky craft plug in blue crack? Wow, no wonder... luck and crack are my 2 favorite things!
                      Mike S.
                      Hobie Outback
                      Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers
                      3D Printed Hobie Hatch Bucket

Comment

Originally posted by chexone View Post
                        Nice!! lucky craft plug in blue crack? Wow, no wonder... luck and crack are my 2 favorite things!
                        14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
                        2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

Comment

I did get a chance to fish. Within 15 minutes of putting my rods out, I got a small bluefish. Then nothing for the rest of the day till about time to head for lunch. I decided to go to shallow water, and within a 50 yard stretch of water, I got 3 keeper size fish, in about 3.5 to 4.5 feet of water. I should have gone shallow earlier. I just always seem to go to the deep ledges.

I posted my report and pics on the original M&G section: http://www.snaggedline.com/showthrea...1018#post71018

I had a great time. A few of us are going to try to give it a go again on Monday.

Comment

Originally posted by DOGFISH View Post
                            I did get a chance to fish. Within 15 minutes of putting my rods out, I got a small bluefish. Then nothing for the rest of the day till about time to head for lunch. I decided to go to shallow water, and within a 50 yard stretch of water, I got 3 keeper size fish, in about 3.5 to 4.5 feet of water. I should have gone shallow earlier. I just always seem to go to the deep ledges.

I posted my report and pics on the original M&G section: http://www.snaggedline.com/showthrea...1018#post71018

I had a great time. A few of us are going to try to give it a go again on Monday.
                            Hey I am interested in the swim bait you caught the rock on in the picture. Is that a lure you've had success with before? Trolling or casting?
                            14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
                            2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

Comment

I have only used it a few times. I have caught fish with it. It does not dive that deep. I was only using it Saturday, because I was fishing in shallow water. I have only used it once before trolling, without success. I have used it for LM Bass, casting. I have caught stripers, breaking fish, and bass just casting. I have also caught some smallmouth bass with it.
                              Last edited by DOGFISH; 10-13-2013, 10:36 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X