No announcement yet.

Heading for CHSP - Oct 13

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The water wasn't rough inside of the inner wall but the outside wasn't ideal. For 6 hours I had only one bite. I cut the line to free a 2.5' long eel. That was it. Not even single toadfish bite.

I think fish left for some other place during multi-day rain and strong wind. I could tell the outer wall was pounding by high waves. While heading for the outer wall, I could see long and high water spray about 15' above the outer wall constantly. I would be soak for sure. I didn't see any power boat at the outer wall. I turned back immediately and fished the inner wall until 3pm

I think the rain and the strong wind occurred several days had something to do with fish disappearing. I think fish may not come back in one week if they have left.
    So I am not planning to fish the inner wall this weekend. I may fish the outer wall. If the weather is good, I will fish CBBT this weekend

joe
    Fish like there's no tomorrow.
    Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKb...JtmNcSJBi2Sazg

Comment

Sorry to hear about that I was wondering how you did...I went to IRI the day before and got 2 bites in the 2 hours I was out with one keeper tog at 15''. I think I need to refine my method because I lost 5+ of my rigs. A bunch of koreans caught a bunch on a slip sinker rig... I might have to try that next time. Good luck at CBBT if you go.
      Last edited by M_Duong60; 10-17-2013, 05:42 PM.
      Ocean Kayak Trident 13: Sand

Comment

I learned shrimp for tog from Koreans. I did used slip sinker rigs. But I kept going back to the typical rig. I used modified slip sinker rig often past summer. I will use this modified rig at CBBT and Kipto. I had 3/4 - 2oz slip sinker + swivel+ typical tog rig with 1-2oz sinker. This rig worked well

Joe
        Fish like there's no tomorrow.
        Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)
        https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKb...JtmNcSJBi2Sazg

Comment

The rigs normally get the sinker wedged in tween some rocks. A very simple way to save rigs is to not tie on the sinker, but to use a split shot to hold the sinker. If it gets snagged, you pull off the sinker and shot and get the rig back.
          Young Apprentice

2015 Outback Papaya
          WS Ride 115 Mango
          WS Tarpon 100

Comment

Hopefully the fish just moved to the outer wall. I'm hoping to give it another try for Tog
            Ryan
            Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
            Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

when tog are picky or are not as active I have found that using a jighead instead of a "traditional" tog rig is much more productive. The jig snags less and you can cover more ground while looking for the bite.
              Interstate Kayak Fishing

Comment

What jig do you recommend? I know about the tidal tail jig heads.... I was thinking about putting a slip sinker right above the hook to act as a kind of cheap "jighead" also.

Comment

TidalTails jigs are nice, but there are others. I like the bass pro shrimp heads in 1/2oz.
                  Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
                  Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
                  https://www.backyardboats.com/

Comment

Ken,
                    Why not just use a smaller test line to attach the main leader to the sinker? That way, you don't need to lose split shots.

Hmmm.....have heard of using jigheads, but never tried it.

Looks like the loop on shrimp heads are such that the jig hangs with the hook pointing most upwards (as opposed to an angle or horizontal). Seems like the shrimp jigs are better. Is half ounce enough, Mike? Or do you use an egg sinker about the swivel and leader for added weight?

The shrimp jigs also come unpainted, so I guess they're cheaper.....compared to painted tidal jigs.

On the typical rig, which I use exclusively, I'm not sure the snags are from the stuck sinker or the hooks. In any case, most of my lost rigs include the whole thing.

I may have to try the jig head, but maybe up to 2-3 ounces. Or maybe use smaller weight jighead with an egg sinker above the swivel.
                    Last edited by tufnik; 10-20-2013, 10:47 AM.
                    2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
                    2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
                    2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

It's a completely different way of fishing for them. I flip out a 1/2 jighead right into the rocks and then fish it more like a bass jig. Slow lifts and almost a slack line. The tog pick up the whole thing and try to take it back to their holes so you'll feel your line moving and all you have to do is reel down (no big hookset). It works pretty well in places like CHSP or Kipto, but not at CBBT because of all the current. It might work around the island but I haven't gone out there since last fall.

Comment

Originally posted by Redfish12 View Post
                        It's a completely different way of fishing for them. I flip out a 1/2 jighead right into the rocks and then fish it more like a bass jig. Slow lifts and almost a slack line. The tog pick up the whole thing and try to take it back to their holes so you'll feel your line moving and all you have to do is reel down (no big hookset). It works pretty well in places like CHSP or Kipto, but not at CBBT because of all the current. It might work around the island but I haven't gone out there since last fall.
                        Would this work with 50# braid with a leader or is it specifically for lighter tackle?

Comment

I don't see why it wouldn't? I use a MH spinning rod and 20lb fireline with a 30lb leader. If you use a loop knot on the jighead then you will usually break the jighead off and not the whole leader.

I have tried jigheads in various sizes but the most effective have been 1/2 - 1.5 but most of the time I am using 1/2, 3/4, or 1.
                          Last edited by Redfish12; 10-20-2013, 10:32 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Redfish12 View Post
                            I might have to give this a try. As I was reading through this thread I was thinking I was going to need 5 oz jigs to hold bottom in the OC inlet current, but casting makes a lot more sense. Might be effective at casting towards the exposed rocks of the jetty and working the edge that is just a little too shallow to anchor in to drop straight down.
                            Brian

Comment

Originally posted by tufnik View Post
                              Ken,
                              Why not just use a smaller test line to attach the main leader to the sinker? That way, you don't need to lose split shots.
                              I used to do that, too. Its quicker with the shot. When the bite is hot, I don't wanna be cutting and tying line.
                              Young Apprentice

2015 Outback Papaya
                              WS Ride 115 Mango
                              WS Tarpon 100

Comment

Working...
                              X