Upper Potomac - Brunswick area 10/5

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upper Potomac - Brunswick area 10/5

Beautiful weather this weekend. Much better for sleeping in a tent than the sub-freezing nights Memorial Day weekend.

Launched straight out of the camp site in Brunswick in the late morning and fought the current paddling up river (never doing that again) to maybe 200-300 yards past the bridge. We tried a number of lures and soft plastics with no luck until we heard an excited guy yelling about catching fish on crawfish baits. We switched over to jigs with YUM crawfish and finally started getting hits, but only in the slightly deeper water north of the Brunswick bridge. Only hooked one, which threw the hook on its 2nd jump that took it close to 3 feet out of the water. Natural color seemed to work better than the green with metallic flecks, unless I am just a better fisherman than my buddy...

We saw a ton of catfish and carp throughout the river.

We also saw a school of probably 200+ fish that resembled 12-15" carp, but I have never seen carp school up like these fish. Any thoughts on what those would have been? As far as I could tell they had bottom feeder mouths and a lot of them had orange tipped fins. Whatever they were, it was pretty cool to have them darting around all over the place under our yaks for 20 minutes.
    Mike

The school was probably sucker fish. There are many kinds, I think the White Suckers have the orange fins.

Here's a pic found online:
    P1070174.JPG

-Mike
    Mike
    Feelfree Lure 11.5
    Ocean Kayak Zest Two EXP

Comment

That looks about right. Thanks.
      Mike

Comment

Working...
      X