Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OC Sat, 5 Oct 2013

Ocean City, Sat, 5 Oct 2013

I turned the corner to the Marina parking lot, and surprise, saw a lot of trucks, power boats, cars, motorcycles, etc. The place was packed. Didn't know there some power boat event, but I managed to find parking.

Was on the water before 8 am and headed for the south jetty. The incoming current was strong at the jetty so I didn't spend a lot a time toggin' there. I tried another spot for togs. I caught no togs.

Did a lot of jigging with Gulp, curly tails and bucktail at the jetty, the R50 bridge, the bulkheads, the flats and the Thorofare. Caught toads and sea bass only. No flounder or reds. At the Thorofare there were many boats and I overheard an angler say she caught a flounder there. I saw no other boater pull up fish there. At the bridge, I saw many boats, but only a single boater pulled up fish, a short red. I didn't see anglers pull up fish from the bridge. Nor did I see any boater pull up fish near the jetty.

I did do casting and jigging on the flats north of the R50 bridge around the small islands for reds. Again, nothing.

I was hoping the power boats would scare the fish into the inlet and Bay......lol. Didn't happen, but it was a very nice day to yak fish. Was on the water over 9 hours.
    2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
    2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
    2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

I heard it was crowded. Way to stick it out though. I fished Friday night just south if there and found a nice red, but their numbers have significantly decreased over the past few weeks.

Hobie Fishing Team Member
    Survival Products, Salisbury, MD

2017 Camo Hobie Outback
    2015 Olive Hobie Outback

Comment

Crowded?!?! Heck, there were all kinds of watercraft out there. Half-way out the inlet some power boats would hit the throttle and scream out the inlet. Incoming racers would power in past the inlet. The coast guard boat would turn on their siren to warn the power boats. Also, you had to be wary of the unrelenting big wakes.

I'm thinking a fair number of reds are still around. Maybe they are farther south along Assateague Island.
      2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
      2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
      2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

nice report - last time I was there was very powerboatey.

I was on beaches of DE and NJ all weekend (no fishing). but all the beaches had crowds - henlopen, cape may, seaside hts, Asbury park. what a trip,..

Comment

Working...
        X