Susky 10-5-13

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Susky 10-5-13

Slow start but wound up with my usual two dozen or so dinks. Was greeted by an awesome double rainbow at 7:00 in the morning.
    Wish I brought a camera for better pics. It was really cool.

10513.jpg
    100513.jpg
    Native Slayer 12
    Native Ultimate

nice work on the bass and rainbow.. where do you launch from?

Comment

Mouth of deer creek.
      Native Slayer 12
      Native Ultimate

Comment

cool rainbow(s)!
        sigpic

Comment

A few of us were on the flats and witnessed the same rainbow. Unfortunately, it did not grant me many rockfish. Only caught one rockfish measuring 14" jigging. A fellow kayak angler did catch quite a few rockfish, the largest measuring at 28". Trolling was difficult with all the floating grass, plenty of activity on the fishfinder, just wasn't my day. Pictured below is "Goody" with the rainbow, it's a great picture.
          2015 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
          2013 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
          2013 OCEAN KAYAK TRIDENT 13

JEREMY D

Comment

Cool shots. I know Jeff got some good pics that morning too.

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
            Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
            Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
            Kokatat Pro Staff
            Torqeedo Pro Staff
            Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
            Alan

Comment

Thanks to Goody, I got this shot. That fish was awesome. It was the biggest I'd caught on the flats this time of year. It went 28" and a little over 8 pounds. I got an invite to have a few beers with a buddy who just moved to havre de grace. So I drove down the street, had a few beers and since we were hungry, we pan seared some rockfish It was pretty much a perfect day.
              Attached Files

Kokatat Pro Staff
              Torqeedo Pro Staff
              Humminbird Pro Staff

Alan

Comment

I haven't uploaded the pics of the rainbow yet, but it was impressive. Good to meet you out there Alan. I ended up with two rock, one that went 20 inches, a smallmouth and half a dozen catfish, all on a 6 inch soft plastic on 1 oz jig head. It was dead compared to last weekend. I think that they went deep again as it got hot last week. Still working on video from the prior weekend, when I got a 27.5 and a 29. That was fun! Found a new trench out there with lots of baitfish. That's where I got the lost smallmouth. I know that there's lots of food out there, but it's a weird place to catch a brown bass!
                Wilderness Systems Pro Staff since 2002.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Little View Post
                  I haven't uploaded the pics of the rainbow yet, but it was impressive. Good to meet you out there Alan. I ended up with two rock, one that went 20 inches, a smallmouth and half a dozen catfish, all on a 6 inch soft plastic on 1 oz jig head. It was dead compared to last weekend. I think that they went deep again as it got hot last week. Still working on video from the prior weekend, when I got a 27.5 and a 29. That was fun! Found a new trench out there with lots of baitfish. That's where I got the lost smallmouth. I know that there's lots of food out there, but it's a weird place to catch a brown bass!
                  I got a 2 pound 3 oz smallie out there last week too and thought it was odd. I've fished there a lot and that was a first for me. It was nice to meet you too Jeff. Thanks for the tips and plastics. Is it effective to vertically jig in 12' of water or do you need to cast a little further?

Kokatat Pro Staff
                  Torqeedo Pro Staff
                  Humminbird Pro Staff

Alan

Comment

That's how I did it the last few weeks, only it was in 7 feet. If you drift with the tide without banging your kayak, they will gather right under you like you are driftwood. How deep were your fish yesterday? What were they associated with? Baitfish pods, a drop off, a rock pile?

Comment

12' in that trench. They were relating to all of the above. When I'd find a school I'd mark it on the GPS and keep trolling past them. When the grass got really bad, I'd find a school and drop a marker buoy on them and cast to that spot. There were swarms of baitfish all morning, but they and the rockfish dissipated as the sun got higher. The marker buoy is something I picked up from a bass fisherman. I just started using the technique and have enjoyed the precision. It's more precise than the gps for fishing an exact spot. They are also really good for marking the edge of the drop offs too.

Kokatat Pro Staff
                      Torqeedo Pro Staff
                      Humminbird Pro Staff

Alan

Comment

IMG_3531.jpgIMG_3520.jpg

These are two of the shots I took of Alan Saturday morning. I like the shot of him paddling into the sunrise, especially because it's dark. I used the "enhance" feature, and it kind of ruined it in my eyes, so I restored it to what you see. A magazine editor could use that with white, or a lighter text over Alan's dark profile. I guess it's not all grip n grins!

Comment

Great shots. Thanks Jeff!

Kokatat Pro Staff
                          Torqeedo Pro Staff
                          Humminbird Pro Staff

Alan

Comment

Working...
                          X