City Limit fishing: Canton waterfront

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• City Limit fishing: Canton waterfront

Launched from Canton waterfront this morning and fished near Fort McHenry for a few hours.
    Highlights included a 20" Striper, a 12" Perch and a 12.99999" Perch.

I trolled various soft plastics and a new lure that I just bought in the Seattle Cabela's (I was there for work this week). The new lure was a Storm Kickin' Shad. They were on sale at Cabela's for $1.50, regularly $5. I wish I would have bought more! caught 2 Stripers on it trolling including the 20 incher before it was chopped off by a Blue.

The bluefish were relentless, I had at least 6-7 soft plastics chopped off, but didn't actually hook any blues.

DSCN5740.jpg
    Attached Files
    Ryan
    Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
    Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Here's the almost paper Perch, I but the wrong one in the first post.
    DSCN5742.jpg
    Ryan
    Blue 2016 Hobie Outback

Comment

Nice job on the perch catches. It is fun to explore new areas. Fish can often be found when you aren't expecting them.
      John Veil
      Annapolis
      Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Nice work Ryan, so close to that perch paper!
        Shane
        Hobie Outback

Comment

good catch and especially nice perch! a BIG perch always gets my respect btw - i went past there on tue; thought how nice it would be to stop for a couple minutes. but i had an appt on the square. it's years since i've actually been on that water. thx for posting.

Comment

Nice looking rock and fat perch. I'm taking my yak to work on sat. hopefully I can get in there the Fell's Point Festival is this weekend if not there's other options in the area. I get off at 3 and I'm only 10min. away.
            Mike and son Jeffrey Yellow Hobie Pro Angler
            Olive Hobie Outback

Comment

Years ago (like 12-15 years ago) I use to launch my canoe at Boston Street many times a year. This would have been back when striper populations were more robust than they are now. I had many a banner days back then for nice stripers. The rip-rap around the Fort was always a good goto spot as were many of the abandon wooden shipping piers. Now I only launch in the Middle Branch Patapsco at HH.
              Howard

16' Oldtown Camper Canoe with a side-mount 40# thrust trolling motor.

Comment

Nice fish Ryan...and no sores so close to the harbor
                2015 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
                2013 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
                2013 OCEAN KAYAK TRIDENT 13

JEREMY D

Comment

Originally posted by sparky1423 View Post
                  Nice fish Ryan...and no sores so close to the harbor
                  Its weird, I've never caught a sick looking Striper in there
                  There is a lot of trash floating and debris, but the water was surprisingly clear probably 3-4' visibility
                  Ryan
                  Blue 2016 Hobie Outback

Comment

i think sick fish are all around. but most common at the BB.

i think most of the trash simply washes off the sidewalks and streets into the drains when it rains. a lot of people really seem to think the drains and streets are trash cans. check out certain stoplights where they empty their ashtrays, discard bottles of urine, burger wrappers, etc.

i remember sailing around near ft mchenry after a big rainfall and there were drifts of trash hundreds of yards long. it makes me sick and there's trash virtually anywhere you might go. i sailed to bermuda and fairly regularly spotted trash out in the middle of the deep blue ocean.

oops - didn't mean to be a party pooper. the baltimore harbor is a very cool place and problems can be solved.
                    Last edited by Southerly; 10-04-2013, 06:28 PM.

Comment

Nice fish Ryan!
                      -Mustafa
                      ابو مسقوف AbuMasgouf (Aboo-Mas-goof ): Fish Roast Papa
                      2016 Hobie Outback
                      2012 Hobie Revolution 13
                      "Be humble to whomever you learn from and whomever you teach."-- Imam al-Sadiq (as)

Comment

The trash is worth griping about. There's lots of that tall phragmites reeds growing in the back end of the Middle Branch. If you were to walk back in that stuff a few feet you'll see an incredible amount of plastic and broken up styrofoam that has gotten trapped by the thick thatch of reeds. Sometimes the styrofoam is several inches deep. When ever we get one of those extra high high-tides it all get refloated and make a huge mess.
                        Howard

16' Oldtown Camper Canoe with a side-mount 40# thrust trolling motor.

Comment

I've caught some of the biggest perch in the patapsco while fishing for larger fish. I've had them take spinner baits...large bass spinner baits. I've also had trouble with blues there too, although I've never actually ever caught one. They must be rather small.

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
                          Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
                          Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
                          Kokatat Pro Staff
                          Torqeedo Pro Staff
                          Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
                          Alan

Comment

Nice city limits striped Ryan . I will probably start working that area when I move downtown this winter. Never saw the Baltimore episode did iconelli get his limit?

Comment

I can't remember, but he was catching smaller ones by the piers.

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
                              Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
                              Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
                              Kokatat Pro Staff
                              Torqeedo Pro Staff
                              Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
                              Alan

Comment

Working...
                              X