No announcement yet.

City Limit fishing: Canton waterfront

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stripers are migratory, so, you catch them in the Inner Harbor, but they've only been there a short while. Then you go to the BB and catch one that's been hanging out in the Inner Harbor too long, and he looks like hell. Maybe...

I remember reading somewhere that the fish with sores are malnourished and thus have weak immune systems. It's not because of styrofoam or anything else like that. It's because there are no menhaden left because Omega nets them all. All the nasty chemicals we put in the water affect the fish mostly in the reproductive area, not in 'soreness'. I have caught a lot of sore fish at the BB. I wonder why they're there... rehab?
    Mike S.
    Hobie Outback
    Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers
    3D Printed Hobie Hatch Bucket

Comment

it's long known that improper handling of fish wipes their slime off and makes them more subject to disease. it was long known when ernest Hemmingway wrote of it in the 1930's - how fishing where others commonly fish, you'll commonly see sick fish. i have to wonder how much that has to do with it.

Comment

further re the bb - that area really is a transition between water parameters (clarity, temp, salinity, etc) of N and S that are important to fish. and so, i have also wondered if sick fish are less able to make transitions than healthy fish and are somehow forced to linger there longer. does not seem unreasonable. but i don't know of any science to support that idea.

in any case, i expect well-fed fish have the best chance of surviving stress conditions. i wish fisheries mgt had done more, sooner with the menhaden.

Comment

Working...
        X