Slavins Slow Down

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slavins Slow Down

Had high hopes when I put in at Slavins this past Sunday. Back in early June I spoke with a fellow kayak angler who told me the place would be crawling with snakeheads in a few months and to expect that would be the only thing biting come September. With the exception of a group of 3 people fishing worms off the shoreline for cats, all the people I overheard talking and/or saw on Sunday seemed to suffer the same fate as I did - skunked again. I did get a few good blow ups on a Snag Proof Bobby's Perfect Frog thrown into the weeds on the shore line, but couldn't land a single snakehead. In fact, I actually had one suck in the frog and take it under. I waited the standard 2 seconds and set the hook only to see the snakehead leap completely out of the water (never saw that before) and all I ended up with was a softball sized lump of weeds. This was the first time I used that particular frog- as I normally use Booyah or LiveTarget- and I think the hooks on it may be too horizontal. I'll have to bend them out a bit before I tie that on again and go back next time. Anyone else having any luck at Mattawoman recently, and if so, what seems to be working?
    Dave N.
    Wilderness Systems Radar 115
    - Solar

The second Snakehead I ever hooked did the same thing. Big aerial leap to shake the hook after I thought I had him hooked solid! Pretty exciting way to lose a fish though.
    2013 Yellow Hobie Outback
    Kayak Fishing Blog - Cymbula Piscator

Comment

Working...
    X