St. Inigoes 9.28.13

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• St. Inigoes 9.28.13

I made the 2 hour trek down to St. Inigoes in search of reds but was unable to locate any.

I arrived around 1pm. The plan was to fish the late afternoon incoming tide and fish till dark. After I launched the wind hit me. It was blowing off and on throughout the day. I ran into another kayaker as I headed towards the potomac. He said he had been catching stripers. When I got to the point I started to work the shoreline but only picked up small stripers. I was using jig heads with gulp and various other soft plastics.

All in all it was a slow day but the scenery was amazing. I paddled around the point to the backside of the launch and started to troll. I ended up hooking a cow nose ray on the tip of one of his wings which made it a little difficult to tell if it was a ray or a nice size fish. Fish caught: black sea bass, 14 small stripers, 2 more at 18.5" and 19.75", perch, the ray, and 2 bluefish.

<MIKE>
    Sunrise Ocean Kayak Trident 13 Angler
    Yellow Ocean Kayak Prowler 13 Angler

Beautiful pictures as always mike!
    -Mustafa
    ابو مسقوف AbuMasgouf (Aboo-Mas-goof ): Fish Roast Papa
    2016 Hobie Outback
    2012 Hobie Revolution 13
    "Be humble to whomever you learn from and whomever you teach."-- Imam al-Sadiq (as)

Comment

Great pics! Can't say I've ever seen a black sea bass before. Very interesting.

Comment

Great place to fish, Mike- the weedline next to the channel coming out of the launch can be productive as you head for the mouth of the inlet- the flats on your right can be very productive in the holes without grass- top water at dark there is "interesting" ....at the point in the shallows to the right side are some cuts and small channels that hold bait pods and sometimes speckled trout hang around there. I took a 19 1/2 inch speck there earlier this year-there are always schools of small stripers there- you have to get your bait down underneath them and slow down the presentation for specks- I bounce mine along the bottom with a retrieve, pause two small twitches, retrieve, pause....
        "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
        2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
        "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
        Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Beautiful pics Mike, and striper. Really makes you appreciate Maryand, except for the taxes (oop, I mean fees).
          2015 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
          2013 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
          2013 OCEAN KAYAK TRIDENT 13

JEREMY D

Comment

any day with 2 keeper stripers is a good day in my book. Especially in yesterday's weather. We caught a number of reds at St Jeromes, but, alas, all under 18. had a couple stripers at 17 too.
            14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
            2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

Comment

Wow! That is great news, Kevin- I was worrying that we were not catching any undersized reds- all I have caught this year are the same year class fish- 22-25 inch fish- good to hear there is a second year class coming on-
              "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
              2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
              "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
              Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Wow, nice scenery and picture . Way to go with the keepers.

Outback 2015
                Maui

Comment

I'd hang that first pic on my wall! Nice reports and pics. Its seems like a Black sea bass in there would be a pretty unusual catch?
                  Ryan
                  Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
                  Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

It sounds like a pretty good day, even without redfish. Great photos too.
                    John Veil
                    Annapolis
                    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Originally posted by ronaultmtd View Post
                      Wow! That is great news, Kevin- I was worrying that we were not catching any undersized reds- all I have caught this year are the same year class fish- 22-25 inch fish- good to hear there is a second year class coming on-
                      Yeah i had only caught 2 smaller reds till yesterday. Camelbird caught several too.
                      14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
                      2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

Comment

Thanks for the comments.

ronaultmtd / kevinfry - Thanks for the info.

I need to get back to St. Jeromes again before the year end. Hopefully my luck there can improve. Every time I go there I only seem to catch small stripers. I've tried fishing between the markers on the way to the inlet and then inside and outside the inlet.
                        <MIKE>

Comment

Nice pics Mike. What was the panorama taken with? looks awesome

All I can say about St Jeromes from last weekend is.... I really dislike north and northeasterly winds. Caught some just under reds, small stripers one small flounder and some spot

We'll have to met up again for some fishing

Justin

Comment

Originally posted by camelbird View Post
                            Nice pics Mike. What was the panorama taken with? looks awesome
                            Hey camelbird,

I discovered not too long ago that my iPhone can take panoramic pics. If you have one you open the apple camera app and hit options and click on panorama. The panorama is 180 degrees but I imagine that there are 3rd party camera apps that allow for full 360.

If you ever want to fish together again just let me know when. I see you now have a Trident 13... that's awesome.
                            <MIKE>

Comment

Originally posted by <MIKE> View Post
                              I see you now have a Trident 13... that's awesome.
                              I got a little jealous last year thanks again

Comment

Working...
                              X