Flats Report 9/27/2013

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flats Report 9/27/2013

Earlier in the month I did a little recon for stripers on the flats, no deal. Today was a much different story. I marked schools of them all over the place. I caught a couple dozen and I'd say 95% were 17.5". A few were larger, in the 20's but I really had to work for those. The bite dropped off around 11 AM. I caught them, casting, jigging and trolling. I got a 2 lb 3 oz small mouth on the flats. I feel like it was lost out there, but I think that fish put up the biggest fight. I thought I had a big stripper, but it fought a little differently. It never gave up

Thanks to Memory Maker for hooking me up with some Alabama rigs. They were a lot of fun to fish with, although I got two of them snagged. That's not a lot of fun since a fully rigged one is a little pricey Rick, can you post the link where you got those? I'd like to pick up a few more and some of those little ones too.

Anyway, if you're into catching a lot of just sub legal fish with a few keepers mixed in, the flats should be good until November. Just like Jeffs video, look for them along edges where the current washes over them. I had a situation where they were only biting in the north direction. Then it switched to the south and west directions as the wind changed through the day. That's sort of the trouble with trolling...you spend half of the time returning opposite to the direction they're biting which is completely unproductive. Casting on the drift works too...it'll also get your rigs snagged too!

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
    Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
    Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
    Kokatat Pro Staff
    Torqeedo Pro Staff
    Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
    Alan

Sounds productive Alan, be careful...trolling for sub-legals might get you in trouble, LOL. I am making one final trip southward (tomorrow) then I am going to concentrate on the flats.
    2015 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
    2013 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
    2013 OCEAN KAYAK TRIDENT 13

JEREMY D

Comment

Originally posted by Yak Fish View Post
      Earlier in the month I did a little recon for stripers on the flats, no deal. Today was a much different story. I marked schools of them all over the place. I caught a couple dozen and I'd say 95% were 17.5". A few were larger, in the 20's but I really had to work for those. The bite dropped off around 11 AM. I caught them, casting, jigging and trolling. I got a 2 lb 3 oz small mouth on the flats. I feel like it was lost out there, but I think that fish put up the biggest fight. I thought I had a big stripper, but it fought a little differently. It never gave up

Thanks to Memory Maker for hooking me up with some Alabama rigs. They were a lot of fun to fish with, although I got two of them snagged. That's not a lot of fun since a fully rigged one is a little pricey Rick, can you post the link where you got those? I'd like to pick up a few more and some of those little ones too.

Anyway, if you're into catching a lot of just sub legal fish with a few keepers mixed in, the flats should be good until November. Just like Jeffs video, look for them along edges where the current washes over them. I had a situation where they were only biting in the north direction. Then it switched to the south and west directions as the wind changed through the day. That's sort of the trouble with trolling...you spend half of the time returning opposite to the direction they're biting which is completely unproductive. Casting on the drift works too...it'll also get your rigs snagged too!

Sure can ...... They are Powertackle Alabama rigs ...... 2sizes $2.50 each while they last ....... found them ic classified section tackleunderground ......... Call 830 774 5222 or 830 734 2021 ....... They are real nice .....

Comment

Originally posted by sparky1423 View Post
        Sounds productive Alan, be careful...trolling for sub-legals might get you in trouble, LOL. I am making one final trip southward (tomorrow) then I am going to concentrate on the flats.
        Hahaha....especially on the internet.
        From past experience they'll get a little bigger, but you do have to weed out the smaller ones.

Kokatat Pro Staff
        Torqeedo Pro Staff
        Humminbird Pro Staff

Alan

Comment

Originally posted by Memory Maker View Post
          Sure can ...... They are Powertackle Alabama rigs ...... 2sizes $2.50 each while they last ....... found them ic classified section tackleunderground ......... Call 830 774 5222 or 830 734 2021 ....... They are real nice .....
          Ah, they don't show up. I guess they are out of 'em. Darn. I have a couple left. They were nice, but probably not worth $20.

Kokatat Pro Staff
          Torqeedo Pro Staff
          Humminbird Pro Staff

Alan

Comment

Did you go to tackleunderground website ....... Just looked and they are still there ....... Call me and let b
            Me know what you want cause I'm ordering more small 1's

Comment

Working...
            X