Magothy River, Wednesday Evening 9/25

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Magothy River, Wednesday Evening 9/25

Put in near Spriggs Pond on the Magothy at 5:30 pm and slow-trolled a Rattletrap and a large spinner with plastic worm behind my SIK. By 6 pm I had a 20" keeper Rock (dinner), 11" Perch(released) and numerous other smaller Rock and perch (released all). Both the Rock and Perch were hitting the Rattletrap. River was flat, no wind and I was back on shore in 90 minutes. Looks good out there now, will probably go out again about 6 pm tonight.
    Al

start casting rattletraps to the docks....you'll get some nice Rock

Comment

I looked up Springgs Pond it looks good but where can you launch from or do you need to know somebody.
      Mike and son Jeffrey Yellow Hobie Pro Angler
      Olive Hobie Outback

Comment

Agree--I do a lot of that at night around the docks with lights and have been very successful.

Comment

I launch from our locked community beach at the dead-end of Manor Road. Not too many public places around there that I know of. I went out again last night (Thursday) at 6 pm and brought home a 19" Rock.

Comment

Originally posted by Magothyman View Post
            I launch from our locked community beach at the dead-end of Manor Road. Not too many public places around there that I know of. I went out again last night (Thursday) at 6 pm and brought home a 19" Rock.

Access to the Magothy is tough, but there are plenty of marinas you can call and check their rate to launch.

I haven't tried it yet, but I talked with the people at Deep Creek Restaurant and Marina (at the end of Deep Creek Ave off of Shore Acres Rd.), and they told me I could launch a kayak there as long as I had lunch or dinner. It's in, you guessed it Deep Creek which is downriver from the Spriggs Pond area just off the Bay, so it's a good spot. On a good weather day you can paddle across to Gibson Island area and Dobbins Island(?) If my memory is right, there's a soft beach launch near their Tiki Bar.

It's a family owned seafood place, and not too expensive. If you're interested in that area, call them and make reservations first, ask about launching, and if there's a sandy area to put-in. Lunch or dinner there after a day on the water would be a nice way to top off the day, and wouldn't set you back too much.

I've launched from piers at restaurants that were 3 or 4 feet from the pier to the water, but needed help from anyone around getting in and out of the kayak w/o capsizing. http://www.yelp.com/biz/deep-creek-r...-marina-arnold
            Last edited by Fishinfool; 09-28-2013, 09:54 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Fishinfool View Post
              Access to the Magothy is tough, but there are plenty of marinas you can call and check their rate to launch.

I haven't tried it yet, but I talked with the people at Deep Creek Restaurant and Marina (at the end of Deep Creek Ave off of Shore Acres Rd.), and they told me I could launch a kayak there as long as I had lunch or dinner. It's in, you guessed it Deep Creek which is downriver from the Spriggs Pond area just off the Bay, so it's a good spot. On a good weather day you can paddle across to Gibson Island area and Dobbins Island(?) If my memory is right, there's a soft beach launch near their Tiki Bar.

It's a family owned seafood place, and not too expensive. If you're interested in that area, call them and make reservations first, ask about launching, and if there's a sandy area to put-in. Lunch or dinner there after a day on the water would be a nice way to top off the day, and wouldn't set you back too much.

I've launched from piers at restaurants that were 3 or 4 feet from the pier to the water, but needed help from anyone around getting in and out of the kayak w/o capsizing. http://www.yelp.com/biz/deep-creek-r...-marina-arnold

I looked at google earth maps, and of course there's a hard launch ramp on Deep Creek Restaurant. It looks like like there is a small soft area in the corner just off the ramp too, at low tide anyway.

Comment

Working...
              X