Wednesday Morning at the Narrows -- 25 September

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wednesday Morning at the Narrows -- 25 September

On the Fly, Raptor and I launched at Kent Narrows at daybreak. The sunrise was beautiful but the winds were higher than forecast.

KentA.jpg

I turned left from the ramp, pedaled past the Piney Narrows Marina and worked the grassy shoreline below.

KentF.jpg

I caught a chunky white perch, one of those dark ones, on my very first cast. I then caught 2 others on my next three casts of a ¼ oz. jig spinner trailing a 4 inch silver specked twister tail. Each fish was tight to the shoreline. I thought it would be a prolific day for catches but those were the last white perch I hooked all day.

I ventured out to the channel markers as far as I would dare but the wind and waves deterred me from going far. It was nasty due to the fast current and wind and waves. I managed to pick up a 14 inch striper near the white speed marker buoy on a ¼ oz. X-Rap but decided that discretion was the better part of valor and returned to the semi protected shoreline pictured above.

That was a good move. I tossed the X-Rap near the shoreline and got the fish pictured below. So often nice sized stripers are found in the same places that hold white perch.

KentC.jpg

A long dry spell then ensued. I know that On the Fly got a perch and I believe that Raptor got some stripers near the channel markers. However the wind was pervasive so our little armada headed under the bridges to seek protection. The wall near the Narrows and the shoreline provided that shelter but the tide was slack and the fish were not biting.

However, I did have a gallery interested in my presence near the rocks and wall.

KentE.jpg KentG.jpg

Tired of the inaction, I headed back to the Narrows and noticed the wind had dropped considerably. I called for On the Fly and Raptor to join me. They came and we worked the area hard.

KentB.jpg KentD.jpg

Raptor figured out a slalom pattern of trolling between the number 11 and number 12 channel markers. He picked up a striper on several consecutive passes. I followed along and caught three more stripers in the 12 to 14 inch range. Two hit an X-Rap and one hit a jig spinner trailing a white twister tail.

That concluded our Wednesday morning at the Narrows. It was another nice day on the water with two good fishing buddies and enough “pullage” to make it interesting. Please join us in the future if you can. We may not catch the largest fish on Snaggedline but we always have a good time.
    Mark
    Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
    Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Thanks for the report.

Comment

Very nice! I will miss being able to fish with y'all.

Comment

Originally posted by Strummerfan View Post
        Very nice! I will miss being able to fish with y'all.
        Strummer, you moving out of area?
        2013 Yellow Hobie Outback
        Kayak Fishing Blog - Cymbula Piscator

Comment

Originally posted by Nitefly View Post
          Strummer, you moving out of area?
          Yes, I'm going back to Atlanta. Outside of fishing with some of the fine folks of MKF moving home has been a predominantly negative experience. I've already got a great job there and a loft that I know and love fell into my lap for a great purchase price. All signs point south.

Comment

Any time you get on the water is another nice outing. Good job guys.

Outback 2015
            Maui

Comment

John (Strummer),

It has been a pleasure knowing you and fishing with you.

I wish you all the best as you head back to Atlanta.

Mark
              Mark
              Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
              Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
              Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Mark -

Nice work on catching a keeper rockfish. I hope to get back out with you guys next week.
                John Veil
                Annapolis
                Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

the "good time" is what its all about. The catching of the fish is a nice bonus. Great report!!
                  <insert witty comment here>

Comment

Originally posted by Mark View Post
                    John (Strummer),

It has been a pleasure knowing you and fishing with you.

I wish you all the best as you head back to Atlanta.

Mark

Thanks Mark, the feeling is mutual. Sorry we couldn't get another Delaware trip together, but remember fish those twigs at Trap.

Comment

Mark, always a great time!

Raptor and I saw a couple guys live lining between the end of the wall and the shoreline bringing up some larger stripers.

John sorry to hear you are leaving but good luck.

Comment

Working...
                      X