Susquehanna Flats 9-21

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Susquehanna Flats 9-21

I worked channel edges with a 1 oz jig and soft plastic to catch 6 striper. The biggest three were 23.5, 24.5 and 26. I tried topwater without hooking up. They would slash at it, but not connect. I went to BPS tonight to get materials to make dropper flies for those spooks and poppers. I hope it makes a difference. Here's the video of what I learned:
    Wilderness Systems Pro Staff since 2002.

Awesome video, really good info. I've had success in shallow water casting swim baits for stripers. If they're on the bottom just let it sink down and do a slow retrieve.

Comment

Great vid, good info. Thanks for taking the time and effort.

Comment

Thanks Jeff, great vid as usual! I haven't made it out the the flats yet but I keep digesting all the info I can.
        -Mike
        Mike
        Feelfree Lure 11.5
        Ocean Kayak Zest Two EXP

Comment

This is great to hear that they are showing up on the flats for the fall. I'm hoping to make it out there this weekend.

2015 Viking Profish Reload

Comment

Does anyone know if the really big ones come back through?

Comment

There's usually a run late Oct/Nov but haven't heard much about the flats at that time ........ usually farther down and in the bay .......... caught some bigguns jigging out from Hart Miller Island in the bay .......... mid 30"s and above ......

Comment

They say big fish go through the canal every year and then head south. I think it depends on how much bait is in the area, but generally the mouths of rivers are a good bet in the fall. Maybe check it out and let us know!
                Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
                Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
                https://www.backyardboats.com/

Comment

Awesome video Jeff. You've hit upon my favorite place to fish, the flats! Anything I can learn about the flats, I'm willing to listen. I watched every second of the video, maybe even twice :-) I actually didn't know about the trench you were fishing. There are a lot of them out there. In fact, there's another just to the west that I've marked up heavily on my FF...as well as a few to the north. I guess I've never ventured out into all that muck to find it. The flats are a big area to fish and you have to make it small. Most of the fish are in concentrated areas like you are showing. There are lots of these areas, but you have to find them. They will also only bite in one direction like you're showing. I catch a lot by trolling and when you figure out which direction to go, stick with it. 90% of your fish will come in that direction and it's always with the prevailing water direction or at an angle to it. If you are going against it, chances of getting a fish drop considerably.

I have to learn how to jig for rock. It seems much more aggressive than jigging for largemouth or perch. I guess I can't get used to it, but I'll keep giving it a shot. I really like top water this time of year and 3.5" plugs, much smaller than the 6"ers I use in the spring.

The fish you caught were really nice. To get them bigger than that this time of year is rare, but I'm willing to keep trying.

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
                  Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
                  Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
                  Kokatat Pro Staff
                  Torqeedo Pro Staff
                  Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
                  Alan

Comment

Oh yeah...that is a pretty long paddle to get there, even in a Hobie. The motor is nice. I've been sorta jonesing for one.

Kokatat Pro Staff
                    Torqeedo Pro Staff
                    Humminbird Pro Staff

Alan

Comment

The motor is a big help, but if I didn't have a pre-set destination, I would have burned up much more of my battery life zig zagging down there. I will probably buy a backup battery some time this fall.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Little View Post
                        The motor is a big help, but if I didn't have a pre-set destination, I would have burned up much more of my battery life zig zagging down there. I will probably buy a backup battery some time this fall.
                        Did you ever give thought to the solar panel they sell?

Kokatat Pro Staff
                        Torqeedo Pro Staff
                        Humminbird Pro Staff

Alan

Comment

Working...
                        X