2/5 Question of the Day - First Aid Kit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2/5 Question of the Day - First Aid Kit

What do you carry in your first aid kit? Do you carry wire cutters to remove hook from your finger? Any storeis?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l5GX3U_Lm_o

http://www.simplesurvival.net/hooks.htm

I use a first aid kit from West Marine, a 2.5 or 3.0, something like that. It is one of the soft sided packs, with the plastic pouches inside. I keep it in a waterproof bag inside the kayak. I do carry heavy wire cutters, in addition to the kit. Aside from those, everyone should know how to do the mono loop method of removing a hook, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sKAAGWZskGg. It may save your day. All fisherman should keep their tetanus shot up to date.

For more on the hook removal method, just do a google search of "fishing hook removal." Other instructions for performing that procedure are available online. A good way to avoid a treble hook in the hand is to use fish grippers. I use the plastic, vise grip type, which only cost about $12 at Bass Pro or from most kayak fishing tackle dealers. That type floats. They come in bright orange, and for night fishing, in glow in the dark. I also plan to get some of the Lindy fish gloves. I am not one for generally carrying a net.

The only serious cut that I have had while out on the water came from the gill plates of a sea trout. A tight band-aid took care of that injury. Some OTC drugs, like for heartburn, upset stomach and headache are a must to have in your kit. We fisherman sometimes don't eat and drink the best things on fishing trips.

Comment

This is one safety aspect I'm remiss about. I carry some stout pliers with cutters on the outside of the jaws, but I don't carry anything else. The pliers look like this:

http://www.kk.org/cooltools/archives/001300.php

So far, I've been able to cut through any hook I've tried, even the big trebles on Stretch 25s. The offset, exposed cutters seem to make it easier somehow.

I always have a handkerchief on me, so I use that if I cut myself, which is relatively rare. I need to throw some bandaids in my dry bag, I just keep forgetting. There's only been one time when I wish I had them. A bluefish nipped my thumb, and I bled like I've never seen before from such a small, shallow cut. I put my handkerchief in my dry bag for some reason, I totally bled all over it and everything inside. I had to hose the entire thing out. One reason I haven't carried any bandaids is that I figure my hands are wet, so they probably won't stick anyway. Back in August when I punctured my hand the night before the M&G, I picked up some waterproof tape that seems to stick pretty well even to wet things. I'll probably throw that in my bag with some bandaids.

Most trouble I've ever gotten into first aid wise was when I choked on a peanut butter and jelly sandwich like an idiot. I couldn't catch my breath and kept thinking about how funny the headlines would be, "Bonehead Chokes to Death While Kayaking". I was wondering what I could Heimlich myself with and figured I could use the corner of a tackle box or the hard side cooler I had with me. Fortunately, I coughed up the offending sandwich wad by that point. Bandaids and cutters aren't much use if you don't chew your food properly.
      Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
      Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

guess I'll be getting a first aid kit together ........ as far as wire cutters ....... I've tried a few and I can't seem to find 1 that I like ...... most won't cut a stout hook ........ and I can't imagine trying to pedal or paddle a couple of miles with a hook in me and a flapping fish .........

That's why I try to use only single barbless hooks so I won't need an extraction ........

Comment

I have one in my car but for some reason I rarely bring it on my kayak. I have a handkerchief that I take with me and a pair of pliers to cut through the hook if needed. I have gotten a few hooks in me before and it's not fun. I am getting a new seat this winter with a pocket on the back so I will probably stick a kit in there and leave it. Good topic for sure!

The worst was one of those tine crayfish crankbaits smallmouth fishing in my one man canoe. It went right in to the center my thumb and the hooks were so small that there was no chance of pushing the end out. I figured it was small enough gauge to just pull out so I took my pliers and gave it a rip. Hurt for weeks.
          Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
          Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
          https://www.backyardboats.com/

Comment

i carry a small kit in my dry box and lineman's pliers along with other tools in a dry bag. if you use super glue to keep soft plastics on jigs it can be used to close cuts also.

i've seen a few people get hooked, one guy on the beach had a bail malfunction and got a flounder pounder in the right ear, the barb was in the cartilage so i wasnt going to pull it out and sent him to Bebe hosp. in lewes. a capt. on a striper charter got a 10/0 hook in his hand and had nothing to cut it with, that cut the trip short.

Bill, chew your food 20 times before swallowing

dogfish, advli and tums are a must, coffee and ho hos for breakfast seem to come back and haunt me around 0900

Comment

Hook Removal

Hey check this guy out. He really wants to demonstrate the hook removal procedure. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TTUQX...1&feature=fvwp. This is one of the guys from the Jim Sammons group, or The Kayak Fishing Show.

Comment

i saw that video a while back, ouch, it could save you a trip to the ER. i still would cut the hook if it went all the way through.

Comment

Working...
                X