OC Sept 20 - First Keeper Red Drum!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OC Sept 20 - First Keeper Red Drum!

Saw the weather and HAD to go yakking. Wanted some crabs as well so decided to head to ocean city. Launched from the place we had the last OC meet and greet (forgot the name) and headed out to the inlet. After a lot of hard paddling I found the secret... paddle closer to the rocks and there's less current posing you back. After a couple hours of that, and a LOT of gulp mullet with the tail bit off I decided to go to the 50 bridge and jig. GREAT IDEA!

After about 15 min at the 50 bridge I BAM! Rod bent! Pulled up a keeper red drum! Sooooooo happy! I started cherring! Put it on the measuring board 21". Put it on the stringer.. pulled out the camera... fish started going crazy... aaannddd... broke off the stringer and bye bye first keeper red... a lot of cussing occurred (I appologize to any boaters around me)... so pissed... went back to the bridge and kept jigging. A little later BAM! and this one turned my yak around. Pulled it up. 23"!! Made sure to get a pic of this one. Tasted great! Can't wait to catch another.

I was using chartreuse with sparkles BKDs (thank you CBKA captain's bag) with a 1oz triangle jig head.

20130920_111557.jpg20130920_111603.jpg20130921_125033.jpg

Congrats! Persistence pays off usually with a reward of a nice fish

Comment

conrats! Reds have some power dont they! probably my favorite inshore fish to catch. big florida speckled trout have all that power plus alot of headshake. Excellent on the table too.nice job.

Comment

Nice. At least you were able to upgrade. Drum on the jig sounds fun. I'd like to get one in top water.
        Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
        Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

congrats, jay! we forgot to split those bkds at the tournament! haha.

Looks like you had it as sashimi...how else did you have it?
          Sun Fishin'

Comment

Nice fish! They are still hanging around near inlet

Comment

Originally posted by Sun View Post
              congrats, jay! we forgot to split those bkds at the tournament! haha.

Looks like you had it as sashimi...how else did you have it?
              Is there any other way to eat it? hahaha

If you still want to split BKDs we can meet up and fish sometime.

Comment

Working...
              X