Weems Creek 9/21

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weems Creek 9/21

Decided to avoid the Bay Bridge today and fish Weems Creek for the first time. I have launched many times from Jonas Green, but never really concentrated on the creek. Launched out of Tucker Street which is a very friendly kayak launch. Light breeze from the North and water temps were hovering around 70 degrees.

I trolled to my favorite oyster bed on the main river hoping for a quick keeper rockfish before exploring Weems. Made a few passes and only ended up with one Rockfish at 15". Returned to the mouth of the creek with very little action. I crossed paths with John Veil....the Weems Wizard himself. He gave me a few insider tips and pointed me in the right direction. Immediately I was catching quality perch. All perch were caught on a Woody's spinner in 3-4 FOW. It was a great time with ultralite tackle and also caught a personal best 12" white perch. Thank you John and Weems Creek....a beautiful day.
    2015 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
    2013 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
    2013 OCEAN KAYAK TRIDENT 13

JEREMY D

Thats a nice mess of perch! you made a wise decision. I went SPSP and the conditions where far from Ideal. I'm new to fishing the bay from a kayak, and I dont believe I'd like to fish todays conditions again. I managed to liveline one 20" rockfish from the pilings, but I had to work my butt off to get him. I went as far as piling#25 on the north span and worked my way back in. plenty of water over the bow and a constant need to paddle. congrats on the perch, they are just about my favorite for the table.

Comment

Good job there. Looks like you caught the herd.

Outback 2015
      Maui

Comment

My last four outings were at the BB, live lining. I was in the mood to stay dry for once and catch good numbers...no matter the size. I will surely be back to explore the northern section of the creek...congrats on the rock, well deserved!

Originally posted by gillplate View Post
        Thats a nice mess of perch! you made a wise decision. I went SPSP and the conditions where far from Ideal. I'm new to fishing the bay from a kayak, and I dont believe I'd like to fish todays conditions again. I managed to liveline one 20" rockfish from the pilings, but I had to work my butt off to get him. I went as far as piling#25 on the north span and worked my way back in. plenty of water over the bow and a constant need to paddle. congrats on the perch, they are just about my favorite for the table.
        2015 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
        2013 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
        2013 OCEAN KAYAK TRIDENT 13

JEREMY D

Comment

Way to go Jeremy. That 12" perch is a whopper for Weems. I glad you found enough for dinner. I caught a few rockfish and one perch, but had to get home by mid-morning. My best catch of the day did not even have fins. One of my Scotty rod holders with a St Croix rod and Stradic reel fell out of the gear track on the port side. I saw it fall and could not grab it quickly enough. I was in 4 ft of water without much current. I grabbed a second rod with a jighead, cast it out in the direction where the first rod had gone under. To my great relief, was able to hook the first rod through one of the guides on the very first cast. The rod holder was no longer attached, but I did recover an expensive combo.
          John Veil
          Annapolis
          Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Sweet! You would have seen me on the water with my boys today, but plans unfortunately didn't pan out when both of them woke up with a cough...

See ya on the water soon bro!
            -Mustafa
            ابو مسقوف AbuMasgouf (Aboo-Mas-goof ): Fish Roast Papa
            2016 Hobie Outback
            2012 Hobie Revolution 13
            "Be humble to whomever you learn from and whomever you teach."-- Imam al-Sadiq (as)

Comment

Nice work! Sometimes a day of Perch-jerkin is more fun than anything!
              Ryan
              Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
              Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

I need to get my daughter back out on Weems! Congrats on those Perch... "One of these things is not like the other!" They are great eating!
                2013 Yellow Hobie Outback
                Kayak Fishing Blog - Cymbula Piscator

Comment

Originally posted by J.A. Veil View Post
                  Way to go Jeremy. That 12" perch is a whopper for Weems.
                  Agreed....while I don't spend as much time on Weems as John, it has been tough to get a big shallow water perch this year.

Well done!

Ernie

Comment

Originally posted by J.A. Veil View Post
                    I did recover an expensive combo.
                    That makes it for a great day! Nice work on the recovered rod/reel.....

Ernie

Comment

Working...
                    X