Birthday reds!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Birthday reds!

Dad and I usually fish together on our birthdays. I was recovering from a nasty virus, so I told him not to stay home so he wouldn't catch it. I felt good enough to fish at least for a little while, and I'm glad I did. After not landing any redfish since June (despite their abundance this year), I hooked four and landed two yesterday in my top secret spot.

The first was a 21-incher I caught trolling a white Gulp grub on a red, 3/8oz head:

It was a long fight, and my heart was in my throat the entire time since I lost so many nice fish this year. Fortunately, it was firmly hooked.

I hooked up shortly thereafter with a smaller fish that got off. If you use jigheads with the round, black nickel hooks, I highly suggest bending the hook so the point is more downward or slightly off to one side. The hooks cost me two fish earlier this year, and I forgot to check it after catching the 21-incher.

I saw something slam a school of baitfish and cast the grub at it. WHAM! This fish fought even harder, but I wasn't under as much pressure to land it. Still, I got it to the boat two times before it finally gave up up and I could swing it into the boat on the third time.

The 22-incher:

I cast at another school of bait, hooked up again, but could tell the fish wasn't as firmly hooked. It ended up being a long distance release.

I also caught a mess of undersized stripers, a few white perch, and a couple spot. The redfish action occurred in a 30min window halfway between low and high tide while the current was running pretty quickly. I was near the inside edge of a grass bed near a change in the bottom contour that makes for a good ambush location when I caught the reds. Gulp was the lure of choice for the reds, but the stripers like the Gulp and my brook trout X-Rap equally well. I pretty much stayed in less than 5ft of water all day.

My wife cooked up the redfish for dinner, and it was one of the best pieces of fish I've ever eaten. I might like it even better than speckled trout. It was the perfect way to end the day.
    Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
    Yellow Tarpon 120

Bill -

Glad to hear you are still fishing. Congratulations on a successful redfish catch.
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Hey Bill, nice Redfish. Glad to see you got some fishing time in. Work must be keeping you busy. However, it seems you haven't lost your touch.

Comment

Bill, hey this looks like the perfect opportunity to make my first post on this board. Congrats on the nice reds! I have got to get back down there, wherever there is, while those reds are still around. That is, once i get over this head cold! See you at work. John S.

Comment

Bill, Congrats man!!! I knew you were long over due for some decent reds. Congrats and happy birthday!

Comment

Originally posted by ictalurus View Post
            It ended up being a long distance release.

all in the name of conservation! sounds like a great day, thanks for the post
            sigpic

Comment

nice!!! they say the eyespots are to fool predators,...

Comment

Thanks gents. I hope it's the beginning of my mojo recovery. This is the most skunks I've during a summer since I got my kayak, and it's been almost as bad as when I first start fishing as a kid. I won't mention how long ago that was.

Originally posted by Southerly View Post
                nice!!! they say the eyespots are to fool predators,...[ATTACH=CONFIG]9196[/ATTACH]
                Ha! That cracked me up.
                Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
                Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

Hey Bill,
                  You promised to take me fishing!
                  Lol
                  Happy Birthday Buddy!!
                  GB

Comment

Way to go buddy! I. Sure wish ur dad was there to see that.
                    14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
                    2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

Comment

Nice fish, Bill- I had a good day Friday with keepers, too.
                      "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
                      2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
                      "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
                      Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Working...
                      X