Fish finders are confusing....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Memory Maker View Post
    I love the 385i ........ and believe me I have a bunch of FFrs of every size. Remember, the FF should be mounted well within easy arm reach so you can easily mark spots and change settings without moving around alot which makes the screen size just fine. Remember, space in a Yak is more valuable then beachfront property in Malibu ........
    Im looking for the least expensive option i can get a way with. I was wondering if anyone had any experiance having a transducer mounted outside the hull in open water vs. shooting through the hull and if there is any reception differences. I'm mainly looking at the bottom for depth/structure and its nice seeing a fish pop up to make me think im in the right area . As for location, OK has the sonar shield location pre determined so that will be easy!

Comment

Japanesezero - I like my scupper mounted transducer. It's just one less thing to worry about, except when beaching on a rocky beach. Not a big deal though and definitely not the same worry as hobie fins. I think you get a better reading and a better water temp as well. I had a lowrance with a gooped transducer in my redfish and I was able to see my jig bouncing bottom in 40ft... so both are pretty good options.

This one is a little older, but you should be able to contact humminbird and see if it is eligible for the transducer exchange program. I purchased my scupper transducer separately so I could use the other transducer in a boat or another kayak. I need to pick up an extra mount at some point so I can swap it from boat to boat.

http://www.amazon.com/Humminbird-4-I...d=F3CDL22UFUTD
      Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
      Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
      https://www.backyardboats.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Redfish12 View Post
        Japanesezero - I like my scupper mounted transducer. It's just one less thing to worry about, except when beaching on a rocky beach. Not a big deal though and definitely not the same worry as hobie fins. I think you get a better reading and a better water temp as well. I had a lowrance with a gooped transducer in my redfish and I was able to see my jig bouncing bottom in 40ft... so both are pretty good options.

This one is a little older, but you should be able to contact humminbird and see if it is eligible for the transducer exchange program. I purchased my scupper transducer separately so I could use the other transducer in a boat or another kayak. I need to pick up an extra mount at some point so I can swap it from boat to boat.

http://www.amazon.com/Humminbird-4-I...d=F3CDL22UFUTD
        Called up cabelas and pointed out the free shipping on a PiranhaMAX 170 on Amazon... They matched that then I used my $50 in cabelas bucks to pay for half... so a $50 pmax 170 will be going on the boat. Need to call humminbird and get the scupper transducer. Luckily I have some time with the weather and all. Still having fun outfitting a new boat tho.

Comment

I'm trying to decide which hummingbird I want to go with. The 170 or 190. I see that the different in the two are the color screen on the 190 and the 190 has a higher resolution. I'm not familiar with how much of a difference the resolution is but if any of you can fill me in it would be greatly appreciated. They both have good reviews so just indecisive right now.

Comment

Originally posted by Foursteps24 View Post
            I'm trying to decide which hummingbird I want to go with. The 170 or 190. I see that the different in the two are the color screen on the 190 and the 190 has a higher resolution. I'm not familiar with how much of a difference the resolution is but if any of you can fill me in it would be greatly appreciated. They both have good reviews so just indecisive right now.
            I looked at both. To me the color wasn't worth $100. I know MetroMan had a 170 and just got the 190. He may have first hand experiance with the two. As far as I was concerned all of the other specifications (power, beam width etc) were identical.

Comment

Yeah, the 170 was just fine when I used it. And even THEN, there wasn't much different between my 170 and Myt's 150. I sprung for the 190c because it was on sale on ebay and I had some extra cash in the paypal account from selling my aviation GPS.
              <insert witty comment here>

Comment

He has nt used the 190 yet . I see cabellas has a 180. I will look at it's specs as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Japanesezero View Post
                  Im looking for the least expensive option i can get a way with. I was wondering if anyone had any experiance having a transducer mounted outside the hull in open water vs. shooting through the hull and if there is any reception differences. I'm mainly looking at the bottom for depth/structure and its nice seeing a fish pop up to make me think im in the right area . As for location, OK has the sonar shield location pre determined so that will be easy!
                  Sorry guy ....... this is not you're thread ....... it was started by Kegs and I was answering Kegs post that the 385i screen was too small ........... somehow you've hijacked his thread ......

To answer you're questions:

As far as going cheap ........ well you get what you pay for. THe inexpensive ones usually don't have the power or the features. Check the specks on the Eagle vs the Lowrance ......... Eagles are less expensive and have most of the same features but have alot less power in most cases. If you want value than buy a used one a couple of years old.

As far as seeing fish under the boat thru the hull ....... any FF will show any fish worth catching .......... the better ones will show the bait, thermocline and your jig bouncing off the bottom, brighter adjustable screens, made better so there are less problems and more features.

As for mounting it on the outside of the hull, I think you are asking for trouble because it has to be mounted under the water line, most likely require screws thru the hull in places you can't watch for leaks or repair them while you are in the water and will probably be in places that will get knocked around while transporting ........

Everytime I've skimped It's cost me more because I go back and buy what I should have bought in the first place so I've spent the money twice and lost the fun time messing with the thing I bought to make do ........

Comment

Originally posted by Memory Maker View Post
                    Sorry guy ....... this is not you're thread ....... it was started by Kegs and I was answering Kegs post that the 385i screen was too small ........... somehow you've hijacked his thread ......

To answer you're questions:

As far as going cheap ........ well you get what you pay for. THe inexpensive ones usually don't have the power or the features. Check the specks on the Eagle vs the Lowrance ......... Eagles are less expensive and have most of the same features but have alot less power in most cases. If you want value than buy a used one a couple of years old.

As far as seeing fish under the boat thru the hull ....... any FF will show any fish worth catching .......... the better ones will show the bait, thermocline and your jig bouncing off the bottom, brighter adjustable screens, made better so there are less problems and more features.

As for mounting it on the outside of the hull, I think you are asking for trouble because it has to be mounted under the water line, most likely require screws thru the hull in places you can't watch for leaks or repair them while you are in the water and will probably be in places that will get knocked around while transporting ........

Everytime I've skimped It's cost me more because I go back and buy what I should have bought in the first place so I've spent the money twice and lost the fun time messing with the thing I bought to make do ........
                    Thanks for the reply. I picked up the Humminbird 170. I realized i kinda threadjacked but didnt feel the need to start a new thread since the title of this thread fit my question. Ive got an OK Trident with the Scupper mount so I will be able to mount the transducer outside of the hull without drilling extra holes. I hate holes in a perfectly good boat.

Comment

Working...
                    X