No announcement yet.

October Meet and Greet, South River

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I will be there. It will be nice to meet more from the group. Count me in for lunch too - as long as it doesn't interfere with the fishing.
    Laura (aka zeebyrd)
    Perception Pescador Pro 100

Comment

Looks like the wind is picking up for Saturday. A 12-14 NNE wind won't affect the river so much, but it will rule out the lighthouse. So if you study the charts, you may want to keep it to the river.

Comment

in.
        <insert witty comment here>

Comment

I ll join you guys next time, just take it easy out there

Comment

Just ordered some rod holders. If they get here on Friday I may be able to try them out for the meet and greet. Wife is furloughed, so my hobie oasis is put on hold. May as well outfit what I have to make it more fisher friendly. Looking forward to seeing all your set ups so I can get get a better idea of what works and what is deemed as clutter.
            Hobie Outback
            Stand Up Paddle Board
            Pelican 100

Comment

Well it looks like the weather is going to play games depending on who you listen to. I dug out my Dry top can't find my pants. It doesn't matter unless its blowing 20-25 I'll be there.
              Mike and son Jeffrey Yellow Hobie Pro Angler
              Olive Hobie Outback

Comment

I may have to back out of the M&G.
                Laura (aka zeebyrd)
                Perception Pescador Pro 100

Comment

The wind will make drift fishing out of the question, unless you have a drift sock. However, the river will be relatively calm. The wind will be coming across the river and not from the bay. The lighthouse and open bay will be out of the question. As far as the cooler temps and the showers, that is striper weather. Just make sure you bring along rain gear and warm clothing. One other thing, the weather will keep the boating traffic down.

Comment

If this is a good trip for a beginner like myself, I'd like to tag along!

Comment

Originally posted by khobombed View Post
                      If this is a good trip for a beginner like myself, I'd like to tag along!

You are welcomed.

Comment

OK, everything is set. Directions to the launch are on the first page of this thread. Any questions, soon is the time to ask.

I have set up lunch at the SmokeHouse and Bar, at 2:00 PM. The Smokehouse is in the shopping center, where you turn into Hillsmere from Forest Dr. That is on your left when entering Hillsmere and on the right when leaving. I think the address for the Smokehouse is 107 Hillsmere Dr. I have reserved an alcove, which should give us plenty of room. It should be a pretty good lunch. If you get there early just tell them you are with the kayak fishing group, or give them my last name, which is Huber.

The weather for Saturday is an improved version of today. The wind will be lighter. I went down to the river today to verify my impressions. It was as expected, flat, with just some wind disturbance on the surface. This is due to the wind being from the NNE. So the wind on Saturday will not be a factor, NNE. I have fished these conditions many times on the South River. The wind will limit fishing, except for the most intrepid, to the river, which is not so bad this time of year. The bay may be rough. This time of year with cooling water temps, the fish are back in the river chasing bait. The overcast weather is prime striper fishing weather, just ask any accomplished striper fisherman. It is like twilight all day. So if you can handle some drizzle and showers, this will be ok. Don't forget your rain gear.

I will be at the gate, per the directions on the first page of the thread, at about 6:00, to let the early birds into the marina. When there is enough light to keep the gate open you can just enter, go to the end of the parking area, to the log and launch at the sandy beach area. After you launch, please park on the water side of the parking area, so as to not block the boat slip parking. Everything has been arranged with the community association, so it is ok for you to be at the marina. If the water side parking area if full, then you can park at the slips.

Any questions, just ask.

Good Luck.
                        Dogfish
                        Last edited by DOGFISH; 10-10-2013, 10:12 PM.

Comment

Thank for keeping us updated see you there.
                          Olive Hobie Outback

Comment

Is there any state requirement for a visibility pole or safety gear other than the PFD and whistle? I went to BSP and didn't see one. I could tie a bright rag to a stick if that'll work or be required.
                            PigPen - Mt Airy
                            Native Mariner 12.5

Comment

Originally posted by PigPen View Post
                              Is there any state requirement for a visibility pole or safety gear other than the PFD and whistle? I went to BSP and didn't see one. I could tie a bright rag to a stick if that'll work or be required.
                              No all you need is the PFD and whistle to go out its just nice to have a little extra to be seen.
                              Olive Hobie Outback

Comment

You should actually ask Dogfish what you need I was there at the M&G he got run over by a boat yellow yak orange sweatshirt and he still got hit.
                                Olive Hobie Outback

Comment

Working...
                                X