Mattawoman 9/9

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mattawoman 9/9

It was a perfect day on the water with great weather and not another person in sight. Fished from my Native Versa Board (a nice platform for Mattawoman shallow water fishing) from 8am-2pm. I landed one snakehead in the 25" range as well as countless largemouth. The snakehead didn't put up much of a fight, instead saving his strength for the battle once he was "securely" landed. Sadly he won that battle and made his way back safely to the water. The fish were super shallow and I fished quite fast covering a lot of ground. Once I would notice movement on the frog I'd use a new stakeout pole to hold the position in order to fish the area thoroughly. If they didn't take the frog on the first few casts I'd follow back up with a swimbait and generally they'd latch on. On one initial cast I had three different large fish submarine-follow a frog but all failed to strike. On the second cast I hooked up with the fish closest to the Versa which ended up being a nice largemouth. Numerous casts after that resulted in multiple hits but no hookups. I then decided to retie all baits and allow the spot to rest for 5-10mins. The very next cast with the swimbait brought the fierce bite/hookup from the 25" snakehead.

IMG_2713.jpg
    Last edited by dinscore; 09-10-2013, 10:37 AM.
    ========================
    Hobie Pro Angler 14
    Hobie Outback
    Hobie Mirage i11s
    Check out all my vids at www.yakvids.com
    Follow on YouTube at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEp...eAiuK2n9i5RFNg
    Follow on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/yakvids/

Snakehead remind me of Musky. Those big bulges in the water behind your lure - pacing it, is exactly what I see on the upper Potomac when I get the attention but not the commitment of a musky. Nice report, nice job Dave!
    Wilderness Systems Pro Staff since 2002.

Comment

Nice LM there!
      Mike

Comment

Working...
      X