Trolling set-up rig questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trolling set-up rig questions

Okay, we have covered the rod set up but what do you guys use for trolling, I have always trolled from a boat so this is a new concept for me, is the riggs the same but with less weight in the in-line sinker or do you just troll the lure itself, also found some good articles on tubes but it does not say weather you use weights or just troll the tube?
    Don't know if it works until you try it.

Ocean Kayak Big Game
    LL Bean Manatee 10

I have had success trolling with single 2oz inline sinker and 1/2oz bucktail with 4" or 6" sassy shad body in Char or white with about 4' of 30# mono between sinker and bucktail.
    GB

Comment

Here is two of the articles I found:

http://canoekayak.com/fishing/tube/
      http://www.ultimatekayakfishing.com/...-and-worm.html
      Don't know if it works until you try it.

Ocean Kayak Big Game
      LL Bean Manatee 10

Comment

I know they kill them with the TW up north but I'm not sure about this area. I made some tubes for this spring to test so we will see. I think the best bet in this area is either a tandem bucktail rig or a Parachute and 6" shad. This is all second hand information to me. From what i have read the above is a good start. Maybe some deep diving cranks as well.

Comment

The rigs for trolling from a kayak can be pretty much the same as for a boat. As you said, less weight and possibly scaled down some. When I mention scaled down, meaning less of the umbrella rig type things. Even though, some of the members seem to be going to try some smaller umbrella type things. I even cut down on the amount of leader, none of the long leaders like on a boat. It is more difficult to leader a fish to the kayak by hand. If you have read some of my discussions, that is why I like crankbaits. There is no lead or terminal tackle involved, just the bait. I connect the leader to the main line by use of a double uni knot or a triple surgeons knot.

Of course, you cannot go wrong with bucktails or even parachutes from a kayak. The heavier parachute lures may not need any lead to troll from a kayak. Depending on size consideration and depth of running the lure. The swim tails give alot of action.

Yes, you do need some lead to get the tubes down to the desired depth. Make sure you use some ball bearing swivels along the leader. Tube lures can really twist a line. Surgical hose eels used to be very popular in the bay in years past. I used to use them years ago from my boat. They have just fallen from favor for some reason. Possibly to all the life like looking things. When I say fallen from favor, I mean that you just don't see many using them these days. Tubes used to really be a big thing. They are an easy lure to troll. Just get their shape adjusted for a good swimming action and put them in.

Don't forget to go back aways on the forum for some of the other discussions on trolling. There is alot of good information.

Good luck with your trolling.
          Last edited by DOGFISH; 02-02-2011, 12:09 PM.

Comment

i always use 18-24" of leader i dont like grabbing braid bare handed

Comment

With cranks, I use about a rod lenght of florocarbon. That way I can wind it up onto the rod. Any others I go shorter too.

Comment

Originally posted by Grady-Black View Post
                I have had success trolling with single 2oz inline sinker and 1/2oz bucktail with 4" or 6" sassy shad body in Char or white with about 4' of 30# mono between sinker and bucktail.
                GB

That is another point, color. In the Chesapeake Bay it seems that you can't go wrong with white or chartreuse. Those colors seem to dominate. In the spring, if you are going after the trophy fish, I would up size the bucktails. I use alot of 1 and 2 oz bucktails in the spring, and even larger. When boat fishing, I have used up to 16 oz parachutes. You can always use smaller, with additional lead to get them to the desired depth. Those big fish, generally, want big baits.

Other times of year, I also use 25 and 30lb leader. In the spring I use 50lb. A little more is needed for shock affect and abrasion resistance. Those larger fish will have the strength to turn way from you and their tail will rake your line. There is always the chance of their gill plates also comming contact with the leader.

Just some things to think about.
                Last edited by DOGFISH; 02-03-2011, 02:13 PM.

Comment

Great thread! I have only trolled during the trophy season on friends power boats years ago, but I used to bring my own tackle. We used to use umbrellas with two single hook bucktails, or a single big parachute like pictured with a 9" shad and a stinger hook in the bait. I have to check and see if this even still legal! We also used to use those planer boards, they were great at getting a bait down, and when they triggered, they are hardly any weight on the line at all because they get off their plane. Another expensive alternative I have seen is the new Dipsy Divers that do the same thing. We would pull surgical tubes and bucktails behind them. This was down at Point Look Out though, is a 9" shad too big for the spring season closer to Breezy point and the BB?

Comment

how do you figure out how deep your lures are getting. i realize that during the spring im going to work the upperwater column down to about 25feet. i read this in sportfishing mag.

"Experience shows me that while trolling at 2 1/2 to 3 knots, every 100 feet of Spectra in the water results in 10 feet of lure depth," he says. "Every 4 ounces of lead added to the line takes it down another 5 feet, so I use different weights to keep lures at targeted depths."

anyone know if this is pretty much accurate. if so i am going to measure out my line and put rigging floss on 100feet-150-200 etc..
                    Link to fishing vid, oldie but goodie.http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...4894489669049#

Comment

Just remember, most of those larger items create alot of drag. Most either paddle or peddle a kayak. Those items are alot to move through the water under human power. That is why most kayakers, possibly not all, just use a lure and maybe some lead. Tandem bucktail rigs might be best.

Good Luck.

Comment

Yeah, I had issues even using two crank baits in the old the paddle kayak. I am going to have to experiment to see how much drag the mirage drive can handle. Have to wait until I am prime for the Bassyaks set up.

Comment

The planners and umbrella rigs are alot even for an electric motor. Even,when I put a larger crankbait in the water, I can see about .5 mph or more drop off the speed on the ff/gps. Much also depends of water conditions.

Alot of the Hobie guys do well trolling lures. Those little flippers must really generate some speed. When I used to paddle troll, alot of times, I would use a bucktail with the minnow. I would just slow troll along. It was deadly. Of course I would not cover as much area that way. Trolling is generally about covering a good amount of area to find the fish. Then you can concentrate on a more specific area. Alot of folks think that most of the fisherman are just trolling around in random fashion. There actually is a method to the madness.

Good Luck.

Comment

I like trolling the tube because there isn't much drag and 1.5-2.5 miles an hour is about as fast as you'd ever need to go. I sometimes throw out a bomber or something else that will float if I stop. I need to spend more time with the tube out this year to see if it works down here.

I have also had pretty decent success just trolling a 6'' bass assassin sea shad. One night this fall I was trolling on my way to a spot and I picked up a few fish on that and then I got a couple doubles on the teaser too. It was a good night, probably would have told the story for that other question bryan asked. I wish this weather would get better, thinking about fishing trips like that drive me crazy to be cooped up inside!

I got some ridiculously big stuff at the KI flea market, but it's top secret. I'll try to post a picture of a 40 with a blur later this spring!!!
                            Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
                            Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
                            https://www.backyardboats.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Redfish12 View Post
                              I like trolling the tube because there isn't much drag and 1.5-2.5 miles an hour is about as fast as you'd ever need to go. I sometimes throw out a bomber or something else that will float if I stop. I need to spend more time with the tube out this year to see if it works down here.

I have also had pretty decent success just trolling a 6'' bass assassin sea shad. One night this fall I was trolling on my way to a spot and I picked up a few fish on that and then I got a couple doubles on the teaser too. It was a good night, probably would have told the story for that other question bryan asked. I wish this weather would get better, thinking about fishing trips like that drive me crazy to be cooped up inside!

I got some ridiculously big stuff at the KI flea market, but it's top secret. I'll try to post a picture of a 40 with a blur later this spring!!!
                              ah the elusive finger print fish i've sent that before. i went back on sunday and got a creek chub knuckelhead popper 2.5 oz and 7" long, cant wait to see the splash this makes, i might take it and my new rod and reel set up and see how they work sunday at the navy rec center marina on the severn

Comment

Working...
                              X