drumming

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• drumming

just got in from the river. got into a school of solid slots. landed 6 in 45 minutes up to 25", smallest ran 20". will post a better report after i clean a fish and get it on the table

IMG_20130907_183613_523.jpgIMG_20130907_183627_521.jpgIMG_20130907_183638_839.jpgIMG_20130907_183714_228.jpg
    feelfree Moken 12.5

Impressive!
    Mark
    Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
    Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Do tell more!

Comment

Solid pups!
        <insert witty comment here>

Comment

I launched from nan's cove around 1:30. I would have liked to get out earlier, but I had kid detail till momma got home. I discovered a spot that looked really fishy to me last week, but didn't have the time to really work the area then. So, I headed straight there out of the cove. Along the way there are quite a few docks and various riprap that I cast to without the slightest nibble. By the time I worked through them it was coming up on 2:30 and the tide was starting to pick up. This was my cue to beat feet, or arms in this case, up to the destination. I decided to keep a line in the water on the paddle there for shits and giggles. I've yet to have any real success trolling so I of course do it as much as possible trying to figure it out. I hadn't gotten 40 yards before drag was pulling. I grabbed my rod with my right hand as I clumsily maneuvered the kayak around with the left. I really thought I had snagged up and the moving yak was causing the drag to do it's thing. Then the yak is going against current and wind... now it's on. At this point I realize I've got a ray which I have gotten quite a bit of practice with this year. For the next 10 minutes I played the power grab game as we both took turns muscling the other around. I got the blasted thing up to the side of the yak and grabbed the leader as he absolutely drenched me and thumped the yak with his wings for several minutes. Eventually I gave up the idea of regaining my lure and brought out the knife. After rerigging and tossing it in I paddled for another 40-50 yards and another hookup. Again another ray. This happened twice more for a total of 4 cownose rays and one lost lure. I brought all four up to get my hand on the leader before declaring the battle over. I counted myself lucky that the last 3 were able to spit the hook while turned at the surface. I finally get to my spot and start casting into and past projecting grassy points. At one point I ended up spinning with the wind till I was facing straight out towards the river proper. Here I fortunately decided to blind cast about 20 yards out of the mouth of this little cove/creek. The lure never had a chance to touch bottom before I had a fish on that pullled about 50 yards of line right off the bat. Success. Knowing I had the red I was searching for, I happily played the game and had him to the boat in roughly 10 minutes. It was one hell of a fight and he definately was pulling harder than the reds i've caught to date. When I finally got him in the yak I realized why. nice solid 25" for dinner. I proceeded to replay this 5 more time getting back to roughly the same spot and casting into what I discovered was about a 10'x10' golden zone. One at 20", 2 at 21" and the last at 23". Damn that was fun. The bite just turned off out of nowhere. Tide was still coming in but no more fishies wanted to play. So I went up into the creek and got nothing but nibbles until I pulled up a 4"ish blue crab. As he attacked my plastic, I apparently snagged a leg. I realized this when he finally dropped off and I still had a leg on lol. I ended up on the other side of the creek with little happening over there either. I made the paddle back to the launch and was home by 6:15. broiled redfish for dinner was a great way to end the day
          Sorry I only have a couple pics on the water. I'm trying to get better at snapping a photo before the release, but still don't think about it till after the fun has died down. here is the crab.0907131538.jpg

and this is the last puppy pulled in at 23"0907131516.jpg
          feelfree Moken 12.5

Comment

Dang, looks like a solid amount of fun! Enjoyed the read =]
            Hobie Revolution 13

Comment

Great report sparky! Reds and speckled trout are my two goals for 2014...I have yet to target them.
              2015 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
              2013 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
              2013 OCEAN KAYAK TRIDENT 13

JEREMY D

Comment

Great job. It is a lot of fun to find the small zone, both spatially and temporally, that holds good fish. You were successful yesterday.
                John Veil
                Annapolis
                Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Nice report I have yet to target red from a yak but you guys are making it hard not to plan a trip
                  D Hawk
                  Green Malibu X-Factor stolen dream
                  Sand Malibu X-Factor The replacement

Comment

Good job on catching those reds. Looks like you got a good workout with the rays.

Outback 2015
                    Maui

Comment

john, that trip was actually three weeks ago. yesterday i only managed to pull one 22" out of an otherwise very slow day. Metroman and Fish came down in the afternoon to try to get on the reds but nothing was happening on that front. Both ended up getting into some dink rocks though. there was almost no tidal movement yesterday which really through a wrench in my strategy for that area. the one i did get was a loner in a honey hole.

IMG_20130928_084105_113.jpg

hopefully langston and steve will make it back down to try again
                      feelfree Moken 12.5

Comment

I'll definitely be coming back to fish with you. I had a good time trolling up the schoolie stripers. Surprisingly, that was the most productive time I've had trolling in my kayak...ever.
                        <insert witty comment here>

Comment

Me too.. I caught my first rock trolling.. On a top water lure..
                          Hobie Revolution 13

Comment

Working...
                          X