How much water in outback is normal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How much water in outback is normal?

Question is in the title. What is considered a normal amount of water inside a Hobie Outback after being in rougher water with multiple waves over the bow and gunwales? My Outback is relatively new and i dont have much of a baseline so if other Outback owners could shed some light and if anyone knows where exactly water enters so maybe i could reinforce the area. I suspect the front hatch seal especially since i close it on my fish finder wiring im thinking it could possibly be the gap caused in the seal but im not 100% sure. The kayak is bone stock other than my fish finder mount. Here are some pics i took today and this is with my kayak sitting on its cart so its at an angle and all the water which entered is at the front. While level i would say its over an inch of water. In the pic i tried to add objects for scale but its about as deep as my index finger so at least 3 inches when tilted.

photo (1).jpg

photo.jpg

photo (2).jpg
    2014 Hobie Outback

This is def way too much water. I've had ocean breakers repeatedly crash over mine in the shoals and did not have this much water at the end of the day. It might be time to drill a hole for you FF wire. I'd bet anything that is what is causing your problem.

Hobie Fishing Team Member
    Survival Products, Salisbury, MD

2017 Camo Hobie Outback
    2015 Olive Hobie Outback

Comment

I don't have an Outbaback but I have Revo. I've been in choppy water with waves breaking over the bow repeatedly. Cross my fingers I've never seen more than dampness inside after such use and that's after I spray the boat thoroughly with a hose after I get it home.

I agree with the prior post that the front hatch on your Outback is suspect due to your wiring. A tight seal should not allow the amount of water you photographed to enter your boat.

I keep the hatches open while the kayak is in storage to inhibit the rubber seals from becoming compressed. Also, I routinely spray the seals on both circle hatches and on the large hooded hatch up front with Armour All to keep the rubber supple. That may be overkill, but I think it cannot hurt.
      Mark
      Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
      Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
      Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

I second that that is too much water. My 08 outback had a crack where the mirage drive went in and that was causing about that much water in my haul every trip. I now have '13 outback and haven't had the issue since they redesigned how the mirage drive fits in. But you may want to check the mirage drive area and scupper holes where your cart goes in for any hairline cracks. More than likely like others said , it's your seal not being tight around the the front hatch that's letting water in.
        Shane
        Hobie Outback

Comment

I have an outback and I'd say after a full day on the water with a lot of waves, I may get a gallon or so inside. I have a hand bilge which works really well. I believe it comes in at the front hatch. Make sure your seal is in place. The other location it can get in is near the rudder cables.

I had a crack once and it filled about half way once. That was sweet in the middle of the bay.

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
          Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
          Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
          Kokatat Pro Staff
          Torqeedo Pro Staff
          Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
          Alan

Comment

I been in some rough seas and haven't had enough inside to worry about.I would check where your wiring where it goes from your hatch. I get about 1/3 of coffee cup in rough seas.
            2012 hobie outback
            2016 feelfree lure 11.5

Comment

Thanks for all the replies.General consensus seems to be that its way too much water to be normal which is what i suspected. I am gonna try to use a hose to pinpoint whether its coming in that front seal or something more sinister like a crack somewhere. For peace of mind im probably going to go ahead and order that hand bilge that you mentioned Yakfish. I saw the one Abumasgouf carries and for 20 bucks its cheap insurance.
              2014 Hobie Outback

Comment

I think everyone should get one of those bilge pumps. They're cheap and they get rid of water in a hurry! Also, great for water battles

Kokatat Pro Staff
                Torqeedo Pro Staff
                Humminbird Pro Staff

Alan

Comment

Which bilge pump do you recommend? I am planning on getting one since like some mentioned, I do get 1/2 inch to 1 inch of water when either my kayak is in rough seas or when I have a lot of weight in it for crabbing. I have a 2011 revo and sometimes I have water and sometimes I do not. I isolated some of the water in rough seas will actually come through the steering cables for the rudder. It can trickle in when my kayak sits low and there is a lot of weight in it. so when I am out for 8 hours I may see the inch of water in my kayak. It ends up being two quarts to a gallon. I plan to try to use some silicon to sure up the seal of the holes for the rudder steering cables.

Comment

I got the "deluxe" version shown here: http://www.amazon.com/Seattle-Sports...ds=kayak+bilge
                    I figure, I'm only going to buy it once, I may as well get something with better quality. It unloads a ton of water. I use it instead of undoing the drain plug and tipping the kayak on end. It can get almost the last drop out.
                    When I fish calm waters, I get almost no water in the hull

Kokatat Pro Staff
                    Torqeedo Pro Staff
                    Humminbird Pro Staff

Alan

Comment

Originally posted by Yak Fish View Post
                      I got the "deluxe" version shown here: http://www.amazon.com/Seattle-Sports...ds=kayak+bilge
                      I figure, I'm only going to buy it once, I may as well get something with better quality. It unloads a ton of water. I use it instead of undoing the drain plug and tipping the kayak on end. It can get almost the last drop out.
                      When I fish calm waters, I get almost no water in the hull
                      Thanks, I just ordered mine......

Comment

I also have wiring in the front hatch and get a little water in there when there are waves crashing over it in rough water. I always carry a bilge pump and also have a big car wash sponge in there. Make's it easier to get water out if needed. I usually leave all the hatches open when storing it to air dry out any dampness. I think this helps the seals not get all squashed down.

Outback 2015
                        Maui

Comment

Well i sprayed down my outback in an attempt to pinpoint the water entry and it does in fact seem to be the front hatch. Definitaly entering when the hatch is closed on fish finder wires, and surprisingly still entering without wires but seems to be less. Also noticed this loose o ring in the rudder cable area and im not sure where it is supposed to sit. Doesnt seem like i can seal this area due to the need for the cables to move in and out freely. Can someone take a look at their rudder cables and tell me if the o ring is supposed to sit in the holes?

photo (1).jpg

photo (2).jpg
                          2014 Hobie Outback

Comment

The O Rings on my Revo are embedded in the cable holes. The resulting clearance for the cable is quite small.
                            Mark
                            Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
                            Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
                            Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Working...
                            X