No announcement yet.

Rod Holder/Fish Finder Mount Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I learned to do that maneuver in my Synergy when trying to access the bow storage well.
    <insert witty comment here>

Comment

Glad I didn't order the stuff I had in mind. My original plan will not work for me based on my observations from yesterday's trip. I have a few ideas in mind. Hopefully I'll finalize things on the next trip or two.

Comment

With my last trip, I think I've got it all figured out. I will do a rod holder on each side, just aft to the seat. Each will be mounted on a scotty flush mount bracket. I will use the adjustable extenders, which will allow me to have the holders facing backwards while in transit. When I'm actively fishing, I'll be able to swing/rotate them forward in front of me. My fish finder will be mounted up front.

I ordered the rod holders & accessories last night. Time to find a fishfinder...

Comment

picked up a PiranhaMAX 190c on ebay, $40 below MSRP. I sold my aviation GPS last week so luckily I had some spare $$ in the paypal account so I could pull the trigger on ebay so quickly.

I'm getting it all in before my child arrives.

Comment

Let the games begin!

There we have the fish finder, 2 scotty rod holders, 2 extensions, 2 flush mount adapters, 2 foam blocks, and 2 cam buckle straps that were on clearance in the outlet section of austin kayak's site due to a misprint $3.96 each!

Now I need to get some marine silicone sealant and some stainless steel hardware.

Comment

Wow, looks like the Metro Express is about to become a fishing machine. When it comes to catching fish, I don't know who to wager on, you or MYT.

Comment

metro... I'm thinking about doing this... http://www.zimbio.com/GPS+Technology...13+Rigging+rod

Comment

Originally posted by Japanesezero View Post
                  metro... I'm thinking about doing this... http://www.zimbio.com/GPS+Technology...13+Rigging+rod
                  Looks good.

Does anybody with an OK KEEP their transducer installed in the scupper hole even when not in use? I haven't done any measuring, but from looking at it I am wondering if the transducer extends lower than the surrounding hull when installed.

If I can leave the transducer installed, it would allow me to secure the cable with my cable tubing clamps, making for a cleaner install.

My fish finder is going to be installed up front, on the flat area in front of the bow storage hatch (as suggested by Dogfish on page 1). The transduer cable will go thru the hull, right behind the mount. If I can leave the transducer installed, I can semi-permanently seal this hole as well.

Am I making sense?

Comment

Mine has stayed in there, no problems.

MYT

Comment

I planned on installing the same transducer and leaving it on there. I also plan on taking the cable directly into the sonar shield and putting it into the liquid tite fitting, coiling the excess cable inside the hull, then bringing the plug end back out to the FF. does that make sense? take pictures. doesnt the torque have a sonar shield?

edit: no sonar shield stinks... im going to do mine almost exactly how that link above is... exceptions will be I will use a liquid tite fitting for the hole, and i will mount the FF base where that guy pulled his cables through. That should help with water. Think about a ram mount for yours MM?

Comment

Japanese that is the link that I was looking for yesterday to show you but couldn't find it. That is how I'm gonna do my FF. Seems to be the best and cleanest way. The design of the yak makes it a nice way of doing it. Metro as long as the surrounding hull is lower than the transducer I don't see any problems with leaving it in. With it being made for the hummingbird I would assume they made it to fit and stay in

Comment

Cool, just what I wanted to hear.

JZ, I'm not going with the ram mount. I'm using these:

For some reason, I think I'm gonna prefer this over using the humminbird mount. Especially for transport when the FF is removed. The flush mount will work out for me when I'm crabbing and need to set gear up there. I plan to do the rigging this weekend.

Where did you get your liquid tite fitting from? I bet that would be cleaner than my proposed grommet/silicone plan...

Comment

Here: http://kayakfishinggear.com/34liquidtitefitting.aspx

You have to leave the cords sticking out though... or loosen the fitting and pull them back as far as you can. Thats why im putting it in the sonar shield... doesnt matter if the cables are out at all times. Heck I'll probably never take the FF out LOL

Comment

Those fittings work great. We use them here at work for electronics we have outside. Seems smart to use these being as though we can get in the hull.

Comment

Originally posted by Foursteps24 View Post
                                Metro as long as the surrounding hull is lower than the transducer I don't see any problems with leaving it in. With it being made for the hummingbird I would assume they made it to fit and stay in
                                Yeah, that was the line I was thinking along. But I dont have the transducer yet, and I couldn't REALLY tell from that pic above.

I picked up a dremel kit yesterday, so I'm all ready to cut my kayak into pieces lol! I hope to have everything (sans transducer install) done this weekend.

Comment

Working...
                                X