1/31 Question of the Day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1/31 Question of the Day

What type racks or transport do you use for your kayak, and why?

I personally use a single kayak trailer by trailex. I find it easier to just load the kayak and use the light aluminum trailer as my dolly. I still have Tule roller racks, but use the trailer almost exclusively. I have added a trailer dolly to the mix so that moving the kayak to the water, where there is no ramp, is like pulling a wagon. That way I can rig the kayak, move it to the water and launch. The retrieve is the same, and I can unload at the truck. Just a personal preference.

I use pads on my crossbars for one kayak and transport it face down. I have an xterra and it sucks to load a kayak on after a long day of paddling. I got a Thule rack to put in the middle that allows me to transfer two yaks safely on their sides. It's nearly impossible to load a kayak on this rack alone. I'm in the process of building a custom rack that will sit below my side bars (can't add height due to parking garages) and extend over the sides of my x so that I can put two kayaks face down. Believe it or not custom is actually cheaper than yakima at this point. I'm still working on it...
    Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
    Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
    https://www.backyardboats.com/

Comment

because my factory roof rack was not up to par I went with a Thule setup. Got the up-rites and load bars, Hydro slides in the rear, set and go saddle up front and the outrigger II bar. The hole setup works great but was pricey (close to $500 with all the accessories). This was needed to transport my super sale price $680 tarpon. I thought this was a cheap sport.

The outrigger bar is a godsend. It makes loading the kayak onto my SUV a breeze.

I'm in a bidding war now for a set of Hull-a-ports for an option to carry 2 yaks.

Comment

I because accustomed to a highly specialized bathroom rug that I laid across the roof of my car. With the new yak, I am using the "handi-rack" inflatable system. It involves more set up time than throwing the rug on the roof. So far so good though.
        <insert witty comment here>

Comment

i've used the same thule glide and set rack since i started kayaking 4 kayaks ago and it worked well for all of them. right side up and i like the yak that way i think its more aerodynamic this way

Comment

Stock Xterra Rack, I store my kayak upside down on it with no padding, just strapped. I found the Revo is almost too heavy for me to lift over my head to get up there, so I will be considering an alternate solution soon. Probably a Thule Rack with the helper load bar on my Subaru Car, as that is muuuuuch lower to the ground. I would then use a J-bar carrier, so I could fit two J-bars for two kayaks. I like the J-bar better for transporting a single kayak more then a T-bar designed for one or two.

Comment

I use the bathroom rug method to put the kayak ontop of my truck. I have factory racks so I use two foam kayak pads/bricks on the crossbars of my rack system. I just slide my yak up the run and onto the foam pads over the cross bars. It works and it is simple.

I did buy trailex kayak/canoe trailer for my boat. It works great, but I find it more economical to transport the kayak on to of the truck. When I use the trailer crossing tolls on the highway, they charge me more for the extra axle which puts a dent into my fishing budget. For example I went across the bay Bridge without the trailer it is $2.50, with the trailer it is $9.00! Also, the trailer can prevent me from launching at some areas. If you have a trailer then you have to buy a sticker or trailers are not allowed to park at the particular launch site. Finally, some launch sites have tight parking so the trailer just gets in my way. So I only use my trailer on my canoe when I go crabbing at a local river that I do not have to pay tolls and where trailers are allowed.

Comment

Home-Made redneck rack.

Digital Livewell

Comment

Yakima Showboat with Hully Rollers - standard suburban roof rack. Rolls right up on roof, still a long way to lift even one end of a yak. Will eventually purchase a trailer or shorter vehicle.

Comment

The last thing that I want to do after 8 hours of kayak fishing, and sometimes 10 hours, is to load a kayak up on the top of my truck. With that said, the last thing that I want to do when I am starting out to go fishing is to load a kayak onto the top of my truck. For me the little added cost of tolls, which I rarely encounter, as I tend not to go to the shore that often, are worth the cost. Just hook up and go. On return, disconnect and put the kayak in the garage. Thats all I want to do. Generally, when I go fishing, it is for the entire day. When I get home I am near dead. The trailer is nice. The one reason that I don't go to the shore, is the toll and that the counties charge for ramp usage. Although there are other areas to launch, other than county ramps. I boycott those.

I generally do alot of fishing by myself, and the trailer makes things alot easier. I have not yet found the area where I can't maneuver the trailer. It is a light weight aluminum trailer. Besides, if it should happen, I would just disconnect and use the trailer as a dolly. That is how I launch when there is no ramp. Just because you use a trailer for a kayak, does not mean that there has to be a ramp. I have not yet found the place where I cannot park the trailer when I go fishing. For me, the trailer makes it a seemless operation.

I still have racks, but 95% of the time I use the trailer.

Comment

Pick up with a hitch extender ........ love it !!!!

I can launch anywhere, don't have to worry about storage space for a trailer which is a problem because I have 3 trailers now, and I can leave it in the truck between trips. Very easy to load and unload by myself ........ don't need 2 parking spaces while I'm yakin ........ or breakin my back loadong and unloading .......

Loaded the PA on my SUV 1 time and realized that was not going to work for me ........... love the truck though ......... rides beautifully and in comfort, easy to load and unload tons of sotrage inside and out ...... can put smelly stuff in the back where it can leak all it wants and can launch anywhere I can 4 wheel to ........

Comment

Working...
                      X