Jonas Green 8/26

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jonas Green 8/26

Launched around 8 this morning, met up with Raptor, JAVeil, Strummerfan, and Mark. I caught one 16" striper and that was it for 5 hrs fishing. I know the others caught more and will let them post their trophys. Still a good day on the water.
    Attached Files

It was a great day on the water, but on my end the fishing was pretty slow. I managed a couple of small stripers and about a dozen perch.

Comment

I got four schoolie stripers that I didn’t measure and three other stripers at 16.5 inches, 15 and 18.5 inches. I got each on soft plastics.

I actually caught less white perch than stripers today. That's rare. I had only five white perch but one was a fat 10 incher.

I pulled up an abandoned crab trap near Manressa and was happy to save my lure. Then I promptly lost it on the wreckage near the railroad crossing. I also had two soft baits “de-tailed” by blues I presume.

I caught the 18.5 inch striper with my smallest lure, a 1/8 oz. Roadrunner jig trailing a four inch chartreuse Mister Twister. I was heading back to the launch at the end of the day and made a few casts among the docks searching for perch. The big striper was a nice surprise. I tossed it back to fight another day.

I got a later start than the others today and I fished about 4 hours before leaving the water. So I did pretty well overall. But I think I would have had a better day if I could have afforded to rent Mojo!
      Mark
      Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
      Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
      Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

I trolled in and near Weems Creek for nearly 4 hours - until my shoulders were aching. The bite was slow, but I did manage about 10 small stripers -- none as large as the ones Mark reported. I found a few perch -- none very large. At one point I was untangling two lines after catching a fish. While I was sitting there, a third line with a Gulp bait dropped to the bottom and soon began shaking. I wound in a hungry croaker. Later in the morning, I was way upstream in Weems and casting to a bulkhead. I picked up a small perch and a small bluefish.

Saving the most interesting fish of my five species for last, I caught an 18" pickerel on my third cast of the morning.
        002.jpg

But my best catch of the day came after I watched an expensive ultralight with Stradic reel slide in the water as I was untangling two other lines. I immediately picked up the rod with the heaviest jighead and cast out to where the rod had gone down. I solidly hooked the shaft of the prodigal rod on the very first cast and retrieved it. That was my "money cast" of the day.

For some reason, the Woody's feather spinner lure did not attract much perch interest today. All the stripers and most of the other fish came on soft plastics and Gulps on jigheads.

I am off to Wachapreague for the rest of the week. If anyone is heading that way, shoot me a pmail.
        John Veil
        Annapolis
        Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Great catch John. Hope you are resting.

Comment

Hey John....I would consider your catch including the 'money cast' to be very worthy, indeed!

Comment

Russ and zimm and I fished there sunday and fishing was pretty slow..

I managed 9 rockfish all 15'+ but no keepers.

We only caught 3 keeper perch all day.. caught quiet a few... not normally as many as usually.. not nothing big is around right now.
              Zach Moore
              Delaware Paddle Sports Fishing Team
              Fishal Custom Baits Pro Staff
              Bait Towel Pro Staff
              2017 Hobie Pro Angler 12
              YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSa...8WkC2WzHhAjVaQ

Comment

Originally posted by BassMoore View Post

We only caught 3 keeper perch all day.. caught quiet a few... not normally as many as usually.. not nothing big is around right now.

Don't be so sure. Brian, one of the Severn River Rod and Keg Club members in our summer perch tournament, caught a 13.25" white perch in the Severn yesterday from his powerboat. I am pretty sure he was jigging the oyster reefs in mid-river with a Stingsilver. The same guy caught a 12.25" white perch just three days earlier. Not many large perch are getting caught in the Severn, but at least Brian knows how to do it. Those two fish are ranked 1 and 2 on the tournament leaderboard.
                John Veil
                Annapolis
                Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Yeah i dont doubt it. But seemed like last year a 11 inch perch wasnt a dime a dozen in that river... now its seems like 7-8 inch perch are ruling the land.

My biggest out of there this year is early july at 13 1/4 i threw him back. so hes out there for some one. outfront of the naval base.

i just dont see the large perch all over in general compared to last year
                  Zach Moore
                  Delaware Paddle Sports Fishing Team
                  Fishal Custom Baits Pro Staff
                  Bait Towel Pro Staff
                  2017 Hobie Pro Angler 12
                  YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSa...8WkC2WzHhAjVaQ

Comment

Working...
                  X