Black Hills + Cold Front = No fish

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Black Hills + Cold Front = No fish

Check out the thread title for today's algebra lesson in honor of the first day of school! Went to Black Hills Saturday morning 8/25. It was cool and clear with a nice breeze. Either the fish were not active or I just never found them, or what type of lure, presentation they wanted.

The water had a really good stain to it. This is a little unusual for Black Hills that generally runs gin clear in late summer.

I tried spinnerbaits, shallow cranks, deep cranks, jig and craw, beetle spin, fluke weighted and unweighted, and a weighted wacky worm.

In three hours I had one bite on the wacky worm. He hit right up against deep standing timber. It was a good fish and I got him halfway to the yak and he got unbuttoned.

That was it.

These are the teachable moments of fishing. It's why it's called "fishing" an not "catching".
    Last edited by Runnin; 08-26-2013, 01:14 PM.
    Hurricane Skimmer 128
    WS Pamlico 100

Originally posted by Runnin View Post
    Check out the thread title for today's algebra lesson in honor of the first day of school! Went to Black Hills Saturday morning 8/25. It was cool and clear with a nice breeze. Either the fish were not active or I just never found them, or what type of lure, presentation they wanted.

The water had a really good stain to it. This is a little unusual for Black Hills tat generally runs in clear in late summer.

I tried spinnerbaits, shallow cranks, deep cranks, jig and craw, beetle spin, fluke weighted and unweighted, and a weighted wacky worm.

In three ours I had one bite on the wacky worm. He hit right up against deep standing timber. It was a good fish and I got him halfway to the yak and he got unbuttoned.

That was it.

These are the teachable moments of fishing. It's why it's called "fishing" an not "catching".
    Im glad i avoided BH yesterday...it was a toss up between there and Brunswick. You mentioned the water is stained...i have it on good authority that they used an herbicide, in certain areas, to kill some of the submerged aquatic vegetation. BH used to be gin clear, now it always has a stain to it...some are blaming runoff from the upstream development near Clarksburg.
    Jackson - BIG TUNA

Comment

Originally posted by wfauby View Post
      Im glad i avoided BH yesterday...it was a toss up between there and Brunswick. You mentioned the water is stained...i have it on good authority that they used an herbicide, in certain areas, to kill some of the submerged aquatic vegetation. BH used to be gin clear, now it always has a stain to it...some are blaming runoff from the upstream development near Clarksburg.
      You could be right. There's definitely less weeds growing than there used to be. I think they may have wrecked the lake. One more thing. I was there two weeks ago and the water level was about three feet higher than it was on Saturday. They recently let some water out of it.

Good call doing Brunswick instead. I did the Potomac earlier in the week and it was great. Most fish are small but it is fishing well.
      Hurricane Skimmer 128
      WS Pamlico 100

Comment

Working...
      X