Thomas Point Light - Sunday 08/25

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thomas Point Light - Sunday 08/25

The four of us fished Thomas Point Light today. (Pam, Stephen, Jim and myself). Launched from Mayo Beach at 6:30 AM. After picking a few shorts and some keepers trolling the shoals and chasing breaking fish we live lined the lighthouse. Live lining was as outstanding as the weather. With an outgoing tide Stephen snaked his way into a tight area of the structure and pitched baits in the shadows under the structure. Every time within seconds of the spot hitting the water he had a fish. We then went in one at a time and again within seconds we had a caught or missed fish. Limited out quick with fish to 24”. (bunch of throwbacks – jigged a 22” as well). Left the fish biting.

This was one of those times where being in a kayak made the difference since we were able to get tight to where the fish were. With the current and wakes, powerboats could not easily get in there without getting trashed, but if you were not in that corner the pick was slow to non-existent.

Stephen's Photos 2013 072.jpgStephen's Photos 2013 071.jpgStephen's Photos 2013 073.jpg
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Fishtank; 08-26-2013, 08:55 AM.
    Ocean Kayak Ultra 4.7
    Predator 13

Sounds like a great day thanks for the report.

Comment

It was great weather yesterday. Before they built that wooden structure, we used to anchor up and sling shot baits under the lighthouse all the time. It is an eddy between the rock piles. It is always a good place to fish, with either tide. That area on the weekend proves to be heavily boated in that area. The boats key on the lighthouse as a marker. When fishing the weekend in that area, I try to get started super early and finish by 10-10:30. Glad you had a good day.

Comment

Great report. Saturday was beautiful. Does Mayo Beach requires a permit to launch a kayak? Or did you launch from the public ramp on the Rhodes River?

Comment

Originally posted by moc View Post
          Great report. Saturday was beautiful. Does Mayo Beach requires a permit to launch a kayak? Or did you launch from the public ramp on the Rhodes River?
          Moc, Mayo Beach requires a permit. Fee is $45.00 for 6 months.
          Ocean Kayak Ultra 4.7
          Predator 13

Comment

Originally posted by DOGFISH View Post
            It was great weather yesterday. Before they built that wooden structure, we used to anchor up and sling shot baits under the lighthouse all the time. It is an eddy between the rock piles. It is always a good place to fish, with either tide. That area on the weekend proves to be heavily boated in that area. The boats key on the lighthouse as a marker. When fishing the weekend in that area, I try to get started super early and finish by 10-10:30. Glad you had a good day.
            Sling shotting a bait is a good way to put it. Actually had to wing the baits through a 1.5 foot high opening between the water and underside of the girder. Outside of the girder bites were few if any, behind it and the bite was almost instant. I was surprised they bit right through mid-afternoon, never stopped, even with all the traffic.
            Last edited by Fishtank; 08-27-2013, 07:38 PM.
            Ocean Kayak Ultra 4.7
            Predator 13

Comment

I really enjoyed your report and especially the pictures of a lovely day on the bay.

Looks like semi-calm swells and beautiful blue skies with high cirrus clouds... a predictor of our
              warm and steamy weather this week. Chipper weather on the bay for you while it
              feels a bit tropical out these past few days...

I'll have to admit.. on another account... I haven't seen such beautiful smiles hidden behind
              "Fish Mustaches" since my last outing with the National Security Council at
              the Winnebago Conference in Bermuda last week.
              Only thing was... for once nobody was listening !

Glad you had a good day and cheers to goin' for it.... +1

Comment

Working...
              X