Flats 8/24/2013

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flats 8/24/2013

Last minute decision to hit up the flats this morning. I wanted to throw some top water frogs over the weed beds....there's miles of 'em up there and it can be a real blast! I also throw a super shallow crankbait that'll nip just the tops of the weeds, but that didn't happen because it was dead low tide. The weeds were really thick which is how you know you're in the right spot, but I couldn't get any on top water. I was also disappointed that I'd left my box of plastics at home so I couldn't thread any worms through them either.

I figured I'd then go off to some submerged objects that hold stripers in the fall to see if they are there yet....some research. I'm about a month early from previous experience but since I was there I gave it a shot. Nope couldn't get any. Couldn't have been more beautiful out there. No fish, no complaints.

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
    Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
    Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
    Kokatat Pro Staff
    Torqeedo Pro Staff
    Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
    Alan

+1 for the beautiful day with no fish. Launched from Mariner Point and spent 6 hours covering 8 miles. Trolling, topwater, weed edges, blow downs, drop offs... Couldn't find the fish ANYWHERE.

Most of the guys I saw had the same luck. Only 3 guys had caught anything, 5 small LM between them.
    Mike

Comment

I was really close to going to Mariner Point today since it's just a little closer. I guess it didn't make a difference.
      I had a blast drifting over the weeds, where there were open pockets where I was pretty sure fish would be. The water was so clear that I could see to the bottom (about 4') and there were lots of small bait fish. It seemed promising. I was happy just trying to see if I could spot anything swimming down there :-)

Kokatat Pro Staff
      Torqeedo Pro Staff
      Humminbird Pro Staff

Alan

Comment

I've made two yak trips out on the flats. I put in at Perryville. I think it's a shorter paddle then tydings.?
        Both trips were low tide.
        First time out, I had a nice breeze blowing me right over the grass. I could see bass everywhere. Had 3 hits on a frog and landed one nice one around 4#.
        Second trip, I didn't see much of anything. You would think with all that grass, you would get quite a few blowups, but I haven't figured out finding them.
        I think low tide has got to be easier fishing than high. If anyone wants to team up some day, maybe we could figure them out.
        Native Slayer 12
        Native Ultimate

Comment

Originally posted by gliebig View Post
          I've made two yak trips out on the flats. I put in at Perryville. I think it's a shorter paddle then tydings.?
          Both trips were low tide.
          First time out, I had a nice breeze blowing me right over the grass. I could see bass everywhere. Had 3 hits on a frog and landed one nice one around 4#.
          Second trip, I didn't see much of anything. You would think with all that grass, you would get quite a few blowups, but I haven't figured out finding them.
          I think low tide has got to be easier fishing than high. If anyone wants to team up some day, maybe we could figure them out.
          I am up for a trip out there sometime next week, I still haven't found the good grass beds out there and would love to fish them.
          Mike

2015 Hidden Oak Slayer Propel 10

Comment

It is strange how one day you'll get 'em and another day nothing. If you find grass beds up there, there will be bass. Whether they are there at that moment may be another thing to figure out. Teaming up would be fun sometime.

Kokatat Pro Staff
            Torqeedo Pro Staff
            Humminbird Pro Staff

Alan

Comment

Working...
            X