Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cambridge and the Mighty Mighty Choptank

Gents

I may be spending a couple of days off and on in Salisbury on business in the next month or so, and rather than fight the currents at Kent Narrows again, I was thinking about a put in on the way home on either the Talbot Co. side, or the Cambridge (Dorchester Co.) side.

I see from the NOAA charts that there are a couple of oyster beds within paddling distance of both sides, as well as a nice deep narrow channel, and some fishy looking points.

http://www.charts.noaa.gov/OnLineViewer/12268.shtml

Is anyone familiar with these waters; specifically which is the best side of the river to put in, and where should I head? The Bill Burton fishing bridges seem busy with bottom fishers at night, but I am not willing to risk getting out there in a kayak after dark in unfamiliar waters. Besides, I'd rather cast or troll, if I can locate some good spots.

Feel free to pm me if you'd rather. Thanks!
    Last edited by Fishinfool; 08-21-2013, 08:26 PM.

I went with friends years ago. Hit the pylons right at the edge of the channel on the Dorchester side with live eels and hit some nice stripers. It was years ago and I don't know if it is still a good fishery. We launched from the marina by the hospital in Cambridge. Appears that you can soft launch from Sailwinds Vistor Center and it would be an easy paddle out to the bridge and channel.

Comment

If you are in salisbury, look south. Deale, Crisfield, Rumbley.

Hobie Fishing Team Member
      Survival Products, Salisbury, MD

2017 Camo Hobie Outback
      2015 Olive Hobie Outback

Comment

Originally posted by RavensDfense View Post
        If you are in salisbury, look south. Deale, Crisfield, Rumbley.
        I'd like to try Rumbley, but I probably won't have the time to go south of Salisbury. Cambridge is right off Rt. 50 and on the way home. If things change I'll get in touch, thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by DonV View Post
          I went with friends years ago. Hit the pylons right at the edge of the channel on the Dorchester side with live eels and hit some nice stripers. It was years ago and I don't know if it is still a good fishery. We launched from the marina by the hospital in Cambridge. Appears that you can soft launch from Sailwinds Vistor Center and it would be an easy paddle out to the bridge and channel.
          Thanks Don, Never fished with live eels. Might be tough to keep alive in kayak.

Comment

I'd imagine that some Bass Assasins may do the trick. or any kind of jig or bucktail. We fished literally right up beside the pylons, standing on them actually. If you do try it take some little heavier tackle as they will run around the pylon and break your line. I lost every one I hooked that day for having to light a rod and line. Couldn't get them off the pylon and would break my line every time. I never see Cambridge mentioned on here and wondering how the fishing is there myself.

Comment

I used to shore fish near the bridge when I lived in Cambridge years ago. This time of year, late August through September, I would catch a lot of schoolie bass casting bucktails or jigheads with paddle tails up to 1/2 oz in the shallows. The park on the Talbot side of the bridge was always good especially the first point up river from the bridge. Higher tides were better. The Dorchester side held bass too off the rocks behind the hospital. At night I'd go under the bridge and fish the lights successfully. Occasionally snapper blues would come in and every now and then I'd get some spike trout.

I also used to go out with my landlord on his boat and troll big shads in the fall and do quite good as well. Most of that fishing was north of the bridge. The area held a ton of peanuts and we'd see breaking fish as well sometimes. Of course, my info is about 6 years old as I haven't fished there since I moved from Cambridge, but it's worth a shot. Goodluck!
              Brian

Comment

If one is headed to the beach or Salisbury anyway, the Rt. 50 bridge at Cambridge seems ike an accessible and convenient big body of water; wind and weather permitting of course. There's no 30 min. drive away from Rt. 50, you're right there. There's also the possibility of catching a number of different species. But like any big body of water, knowing where the hotspots are is key.

It seems like that's a spot that's been overlooked by us kayakers, maybe because of the lack of sheltered creeks and coves. There's got to be some big fish in there.

Comment

Working...
                X