1/29 Question - Knots

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1/29 Question - Knots

What is your favorite fishing knot to use? Why?

I use the palomar more then any other knot, easy to tie and strong, good for braided line. Web site below has very good demonstrations

http://www.netknots.com/

Trilene knot for terminal tackle. I prefer to pull the tag end away from the main line to tighten and it has two loops through the lure eye.
    Modified Albright for Braid to mono connection.
    Also like the Palomar and sometimes use it.

Comment

Also the Trilene for my terminal tackle!

Originally posted by wiljack78 View Post
      Trilene knot for terminal tackle. I prefer to pull the tag end away from the main line to tighten and it has two loops through the lure eye.
      Modified Albright for Braid to mono connection.
      Also like the Palomar and sometimes use it.

Comment

i have 5 go to knots

1. palomar for tying fluro. to hooks
        2. weedless loop knot for lures. gives the lure the sexy dance
        3. double improved clinch knot for terminal tackle. this is a version of the one my father taught me as a kid but for braid i double the line through the eye make 7 (for luck) turns around the main line and back through the loop twice, a little spit and pull tight. very strong if done right.
        4. surgeon's loop for sinkers and the upper end of leaders to attach to snaps
        5. double uni for joining line. used with braid only when putting a mono cushion on a reel

Comment

I changed from the surgeons loop to the German loop. It is bulkier but stronger for me. I also use the non slip loop for lures. I'll research the weedless loop.

Comment

I also use the palomar knot, quick, easy and strong. I use the triple surgeons knot for joining lines and for making loops. I tie droper loops for bottom rigs. I use the double uni knot for joining lines. A loop knot for lures that require movement. I also use an arbor knot for putting line on reels. I am sure that there are others, which I have forgoten to mention. Oh yeah, I also use the hangman's knot, on those days when I have been skunked.

For anyone needing information on fishing knots they should go to fishingknots.com. They offer good video knot instruction.

Comment

Polamar, loop for jigs and improved clinch

Comment

Palomar or uni. Loop knot for jigs and flukes if I tie it at home or my hands aren't cold. Usually just try to use a clip and a palomar knot to that. Alberto knot for leader and arbor for the spool
                Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
                Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
                https://www.backyardboats.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Redfish12 View Post
                  Palomar or uni. Loop knot for jigs and flukes if I tie it at home or my hands aren't cold. Usually just try to use a clip and a palomar knot to that. Alberto knot for leader and arbor for the spool

Glad you mentioned that. I have been more and more using clips on my line, secured by a palomar. I have found that the clips come in handy when making changes. It must be a kayak thing, as I have always been a tie direct type of fisherman. This may also be that I change out alot of cranks in the course of a day of trolling. It makes it far easier.

Comment

I tend to use the improved clinch and the palomar knot alot, but always trying something new.
                    Don't know if it works until you try it.

Ocean Kayak Big Game
                    LL Bean Manatee 10

Comment

Since I tie a lot of hooks, it's the improved clinch.
                      2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
                      2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
                      2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

I like the eye crosser for terminal tackle, hooks or lures and the Rapala knot or surgeon's end for loops.
                        If you have an iPhone, the ProKnot App is great for step by step knots. Don't know if its available for other smart phones.
                        Hobie PA 12

Comment

try the weedless loop for lures. make an over hand knot pass the tag end through the eye and through the oh loop, wrap the tag end 3 times around the main line and back through the loop give it a little spit and pull tight. the tag end should be pointing toward the lure

Comment

saw a pretty good knot for tying braid to leader today. 1st make overhand knot wrapping 6 times and pulling tight making a loop in the braid then make a perfection loop in leader then cut leader to length and join loops. they were using this with 65lb braid and 30lb fluorocarbon leader to pull pig LMB out of weeds and submerged trees. looks like a good way to add a top shot of leader to conv. reels.

Comment

Working...
                            X