No announcement yet.

Meet and Greet - Potomac - Brunswick

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PigPen, the DNR Ranger was just leaving the Lander ramp as Beerboy and I arrived. So how did your Native Mariner do on that stretch of river? I was interested to see your fly fishing from the Mariner, but I was hanging near the back of the group and fishing slow for a while and lost track of you.

DonV, I noticed that your wife was onto fish quickly just down a tiny bit from the launch. Looked like the two of you had some sort of radio system. I need to look into getting some radios, I think it would make trips more enjoyable and safer.

So Bryan, what did you catch your monster smallie on? Great looking fish!

J.A. Veil, I'd love to join you for a fishing trip down your way. Unfortunately, I tow my kayaks using a trailer and don't think I can park it near the Tucker Street ramp or at Jonas Green...... If you have a chance, I'd love to coordinate a trip where I could catch some striped bass. I've only caught a couple in my lifetime and I'm certainly interested in some pickerel fishing this fall.

Tom

Comment

Originally posted by DanMarino View Post

J.A. Veil, I'd love to join you for a fishing trip down your way. Unfortunately, I tow my kayaks using a trailer and don't think I can park it near the Tucker Street ramp or at Jonas Green...... If you have a chance, I'd love to coordinate a trip where I could catch some striped bass. I've only caught a couple in my lifetime and I'm certainly interested in some pickerel fishing this fall.

Tom
      Tom -

I would be happy to take you out on the Severn. You can park the trailer at my house, then slide your kayak on top of mine in the back of my minivan for the short (10-15 min) ride to the ramp. Striped bass are never guaranteed in the Severn, but at least a few can usually be found on most trips. This time of year, white perch are close to automatic. Pickerel are pretty predictable between Nov and March (as long as the tidal creeks and coves are not ice-covered).

Last summer I hauled two kayaks inside the minivan and a third on the roof. Where there is a will, there is a way.
      John Veil
      Annapolis
      Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

DonV, I noticed that your wife was onto fish quickly just down a tiny bit from the launch. Looked like the two of you had some sort of radio system. I need to look into getting some radios, I think it would make trips more enjoyable and safer.

Tom
        Yes she ruined my day by catching all the fish. I had nothing I could even get a decent picture with, macro on my camera doesn't work that well. Next time let her go with you please!!

I'm also close to the Severn and have two trucks with racks. Get to the Severn a good bit and the more I fish it the more I like it. Haven't got my keeper rock out of it yet(17 1/2") and am no expert on getting stripers but you are welcome to hitch a ride.

Comment

Kind of off topic here but does anyone know if it alright to overnight camp on the numerous islands on that stretch of river. I did see a sign at Brunswick stating the park closes at sunset and camping in designated areas only. Yet talked to a guy heading out from Point of rocks to the big island right below the ramp and he stated he had did some reseach and it was alright to camp on the island. Don't know if this applies to all them or if there are different regulations on different sections.

Comment

Thanks Tom! Caught it on the bottom edge of an eddie while throwing a 3/8 ounce spinnerbait. I was applying the rule, bigger bait=bigger fish

DonV, for awhile I was curious about various islands along the potomac for camping myself. I called the DNR office for this area, and they told me that some are owned and some aren't, but he couldn't tell me which ones were and weren't. Kinda odd to me, but if I do an overnight float, I'll just bring some cash incase someone shows up and tells me they own it, whether they really do or not, just to avoid any trouble. Of course, I'll get the boat numbers incase it is claimed by more than one person : /

Comment

Originally posted by HearadonCatch View Post

DonV, for awhile I was curious about various islands along the potomac for camping myself. I called the DNR office for this area, and they told me that some are owned and some aren't, but he couldn't tell me which ones were and weren't. Kinda odd to me, but if I do an overnight float, I'll just bring some cash incase someone shows up and tells me they own it, whether they really do or not, just to avoid any trouble. Of course, I'll get the boat numbers incase it is claimed by more than one person : /
              Thanks for the info. That makes me a little leery of trying. I stopped on the first one down from Brunswick and someone had it set up camp gear that appears to be stored there. Some of the smaller ones closer to POR showed no signs of anyone using them, at least not often. Another concern, can you leave a car overnight with no problems. I'm going to try some more research and see what else I can find out. Thanks again.

Comment

I would like to apologize to everyone who may have been counting on me to show up Saturday and help ferry folks between the put-in & take-out...My wife broke her ankle Friday night @ 11 p.m...I was really looking forward to this. Im glad everyone had a good time, sorry I missed it. - Wayne
                Jackson - BIG TUNA

Comment

That's a bummer Wayne. Hope she has a speedy recovery! How did she break it?

Comment

That's a bummer Wayne. Hope she has a speedy recovery! How did she break it?
                    Thanks for the get well wishes for the Mrs. To answer your question as to how; our daughter was away at a sleepover so i took the opportunity to take my wife out on a long overdue date and apparently cosmopolitans affect ones ability to count steps...I found her at the bottom of the steps after putting all my gear in the truck & entering the house. Sorry you asked? Dont be, I'm still miffed at the whole thing. I had been waiting for this M&G since i saw it on the calendar...in my back-yard, fresh water...Note to all: stay put the night before or take your wives out more often so they dont act like a freshman in college...apologies to all college freshman on this board.
                    Jackson - BIG TUNA

Comment

Tom,

Thanks again for setting up a great trip. It was great to meet and fish a few folks here. I had a good numbers day but was didn't do well on size. I tallied 29 fish in all. All were smallies except for one sunfish. I swung and missed on many more than I caught. By the end of the day, I had accumulated an awful good assortment of curly tail grubs without any tails left.

My largest smallie was 12". The rest were beteen 6-12" with 10-12 being pretty common. I got to talk quite a but with a fellow named Michael, not sure what his handle is. He had two real nice quality fis 15" or better.

The majority of my fish came on a curly tail grubs. White and Chartruese seemed to work best for me. I also did well on Baby paca craws and small tubes. Could get any hits on topwater, buzz baits, and the grass just made it impossible to even consider cranks. The grubs were most effective fished like a craw. That is crawled slowly along bottom.

I had one nice stretch with a lot of hits where the bank was in the shade for about twenty yards out into the river. The rest of the time I did best behind ledges and rocks.

Nice to meet DonV, and Mike also.

Really nice day. Thanks again.
                      Last edited by Runnin; 08-19-2013, 01:18 PM.
                      Hurricane Skimmer 128
                      WS Pamlico 100

Comment

I had a great time meeting everyone and really enjoyed the river. The water clarity was spectacular. Slid over carp, catfish, and innumerable bass. I think my total was 10 bass. Mostly a 1/4 oz tube and a small shallow running crankbait. Tube seemed to produce the biggest fish though only had 2 that would make 12 inches.

While no awards were given, if I were handing them out I would have to nominate Turtle135 for the Ironman Award. He took the little used Brunswick-Lander portage. You may have noticed him as he pulled his yak by hand (though on a cart) up the towpath from Lander. With an attitude like that I fully expect to see him running the Marine Corps Marathon next year pulling his yak.

Thanks to DanMarino (Tom) for organizing an excellent M&G. Great spot.

Here are a few pictures I took.
                        P1020443.jpgP1020446.jpgP1020447.jpgP1020448.jpg

Comment

Tom,

I had my rod rigged up with a sinking tippet for what I expected to be deeper and faster water. Since I was doing so well with my 4" twister tail on a roadrunner jig that I didn't even try it out. I was standing in the boat further downstream to sight cast between the grass beds and did pretty well. The water wasn't deep enough to risk using my propeller, but I was suprised how fast I could paddle up stream to recover my anchor (a.k.a. grappling hook) or hit a drift again. If we do a meet and greet in more of a tidal area, I'd be glad to let people try standing and casting in it. I'd like to see how differently it paddles.
                          PigPen - Mt Airy
                          Native Mariner 12.5

Comment

Pig Pen, your yak rocks! I loved the nice captains chair, the peddle power motor, and the fact you could stand. Pretty cool! How heavy is that rig, how do you transport it?
                            Hurricane Skimmer 128
                            WS Pamlico 100

Comment

Originally posted by Runnin View Post
                              Pig Pen, your yak rocks! I loved the nice captains chair, the peddle power motor, and the fact you could stand. Pretty cool! How heavy is that rig, how do you transport it?
                              Its about 90lbs. I'm able to pick it up empty by the handles to move it around but its awkward. I need to strengthen up a little. Most of you missed my truck since Tom was shuttling me down to the take out point, but I built a bed extender that fits around the wheel wells of my 6' bed. It's made of pressure treated lumber and I built saddles for the hull and to strap the kayak down with. The extender comes out about 3 feet so the hull is supported at the 1/3 points. I used 8" Malone C shapped foam blocks to accomidate the tunnel hull and it seems to work ok. I've driven to NJ and out to savage resivior without incident. I also attached a large plastic chest from Lowes to hold all my extra gear to the bed extender so it can't be stolen.

If anybody wants pictures let me know I'm trying to get pictures placed on line for the native watercraft user group forum.

Ben
                              PigPen - Mt Airy
                              Native Mariner 12.5

Comment

Working...
                              X