Thomas Point

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thomas Point

I went fishing yesterday afternoon and did well. I started out in the South River at about 2:30 - 3:00, which turned out to be somewhat slow. I only caught a few bluefish and a couple undersized rockfish. The weather was great, with light wind. I decided to go to the lighthouse. That decision really was the right one for the day. Just after getting out beyond the shoal, I started marking fish directly on the bottom. I tied on a 6oz bucktail with a paddle tail and a swim shad as a tandem rig. I no more than put it out, than I caught a fish. I kept going back and forth across that same area, and each time I would catch fish on the tandem rig or on the other rod, which had a crankbait on it. This went on for an hour or so. Then the fish started breaking in about the same area. Up to that time I had the fish all to myself. With gulls starting to work, some boats started to show up. A few times I had two fish on the tandem rig and one on the crankbait. It was a little crazy. I then took the tandem rig off, and replaced it with another crank. I saw Matt (CBkayak02), who came out about this time. The breaking fish went on for a couple of hours. I just kept on trolling around, even when one group would to down, and I was moving to another group. At times there was probably a couple square miles with groups of breaking fish. On a few occasions I would be putting out a bait and have a fish grab the bait as it was going out. I had one rod, with a bait hanging over the side of the kayak, just after taking a fish off. While putting out the other rod, a fish hit the bait hanging just in the water at the side of the kayak. I put first rod in the rod holder, to grab the rod at the side of the kayak, and the rod in the rod holder got a fish. This was incredibly fun. It was catching and not fishing. Sometimes things just go right. All in all for the day, I probably caught 50 - 60 fish. Most were undersized, with a few keepers mixed in. I caught four keeper size fish, 23", 22", and two right about 19". I am sure there were some others at just about 18", but I stopped measuring. Most were 16" - 17". There were also some very small dinks. All were released to fight another day.

The sun was starting to set, so I had to start back to the launch, with fish still breaking. Even when heading back I was steadily catching fish. It was not until I got to the south side of the shoal that the fish started to stop. Luckily I had lights with me. It was a long run yesterday. With fishing and trolling, I used up just about three batteries for the Torqeedo. I posted of few photos. I have some GoPro footage to edit. I will post that when done.

feeding.jpgrockfish.jpgMatt.jpgLighthouse.jpgsunset.jpg
    Last edited by DOGFISH; 08-17-2013, 01:59 AM.

Wow, what an afternoon! I don't think I have ever seen a 6oz bucktail. Was it bouncing bottom when troling, or staying in a water column?
    2015 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
    2013 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
    2013 OCEAN KAYAK TRIDENT 13

JEREMY D

Comment

Spro bucktail in glow color. It was just near the bottom, not bouncing.

Comment

To each his own I guess, but with all the breakers and bird action why would you keep trolling and not just drift around casting and jigging?
        Still sounds like a great day!!
        2013 PRO ANGLER 12
        2013 Cuda 12

Comment

I thought about it. I was rigged for light trolling. Once I changed out the tandem rig for another crank, the light tackle is like casting tackle. Besides, I could move from pod to pod without stopping and with two rods out. Sometimes I would hold onto one rod, with the other in the holder. Keeping on the move was very productive. There was such a large area to fish, it didn't matter how one fished.

Comment

i like trolling too. easier to get to larger fish under the schools. more tangle though.
            14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
            2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

Comment

Nice report Don. You were in the right place at the right time. I agree with your decision to keep trolling light lures. I did the same thing on Thurs and had steady action for 1.5 hours.

TPL is a bit too far for me to paddle. But with your electric motor, it is reachable.
              John Veil
              Annapolis
              Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Awesome day out there. I finished with 4 overs up to 27", only kept two of course. I'll be posting a report on my blog tonight.

Thanks for the picture Don.

Comment

I would love to get out there. Where would you suggest putting in to get to the light? Thanks.

Comment

It would not be unreasonable to launch from Beverly Beach Park. It does require a yearly kayak launch permit. The information for that is available from the Anne Arundel County, Recreation and Parks web site. It would be quite a paddle, but not so much as to what some kayakers do in other areas. Other than those, everything else is by private access.

The launch from Thomas Point Park is not so great. Everything is ringed by rip-rap. You can check either of these out at the county web site. You can also get in touch with Quiet Waters Park, which is where the fishing permits are sold.

Comment

Thanks for the info. looks like I'll be getting a launch permit this weekend.

Comment

don, i am in NC right now but i will be home tommorow, like i told you in the store, some reeeeeeeeeeeeealy good fishin right now there.

Comment

Originally posted by kayak456 View Post
                          don, i am in NC right now but i will be home tommorow, like i told you in the store, some reeeeeeeeeeeeealy good fishin right now there.
                          You were right.

Comment

Working...
                          X