No announcement yet.

Help Me Identify this fish. Fishing @St. Indigoes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was curious, so I Googled the fish and read that they have been caught in Maryland before. They've been caught in the Severn and Honga Rivers, to name a couple of places.

Regardless, this is a cool fish. Did I notice in the video that the mouth/tongue is also silver in color?
    Laura (aka zeebyrd)
    Perception Pescador Pro 100

Comment

Originally posted by zeebyrd View Post
      I was curious, so I Googled the fish and read that they have been caught in Maryland before. They've been caught in the Severn and Honga Rivers, to name a couple of places.

Regardless, this is a cool fish. Did I notice in the video that the mouth/tongue is also silver in color?
      Zee I'm not sure but you could see the thin membrane at the lower jaw area.

Comment

On the DNR fishing reports a guy caught the same kind on fish near Drum Point. They called it a Cutlass Fish, also called it a Hair Tail. I must say . . . a most unusual and beautiful fish.
        Terry Hill

<*)))><{ <*)))><{

<*)))><{

<*)))><{

Santa Cruz RAPTOR

Comment

I used to work with a guy who had a weekend house near St Jeromes Creek. He told me about the time he was motoring along in his skiff after dark when he felt a thump on his chest. He turned on his flashlight and saw that a cutlassfish had leaped out of the water, struck him on the chest in the dark, and ended up on the floor of the boat. That sounds like a plot for a scary movie.

For many years I worked in DC near the Maine Ave seafood barges and would occasionally walk over there at lunch time. They often had cutlassfish for sale. I'm not sure how one would prepare such a slender fish for the table, but apparently there was a market for them.
          John Veil
          Annapolis
          Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Working...
          X