Advice?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice?

I'm in high school and I really want to get into kayak fishing. Does anyone have any suggestions on my first kayak? Preferably a sit on top model that is comfortable. Thanks guys!

It depends on your budget and what kind of water you want to fish. If you're on a budget check out this link. http://www.yakangler.com/how-to-paddling/item/1215-5-fishing-kayaks-under-$500 If you are on a budget and want a higher end kayak look for a used one on Craigslist or for sale in this forum or others. If you decide to look for a used kayak be ready to log some miles to pick it up. I had to drive from Northern VA to the VA/NC state line to get mine, but it was the right yak for the right price.
    Jeff
    Life's Short, Fish Hard
    Malibu X-Factor
    Ocean Kayak Frenzy

Comment

I went with the Ocean Kayak Trident 13. If you wait until the off season I'm pretty sure most if not all kayak shops sell off their demo kayaks for (in my case) 40% off. If you have a lot of cash you can get a hobie kayak with mirage drive.

Although there are many different brands out there nd like FishAholic said it depends on your budget.
      Last edited by M_Duong60; 08-12-2013, 03:53 PM.
      Ocean Kayak Trident 13: Sand

Comment

thanks for the help guys, I was just a little overwhelmed with all of the kayaks out there and am on a budget, thanks for that link it will help a lot.

Comment

The number of choices is pretty over whelming for anyone- I did a lot of research before I bought my Ocean Prowler 13 as my first new kayak- great all-around, do anything kayak- my second choice was a Tarpon 120...after fishing for a year in the Bay, I bought a used 2010 Hobie Outback off Craig's List from an Army helicopter pilot deploying to Iraq...I kept my Prowler and occasionally use it for special fishing purposes where the mirage drive feature has problems- ie rocky, weedy shallow waters-
          "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
          2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
          "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
          Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Yes, answer lies on where you expect to do most of your fishing. From my experience, the bigger the water the bigger the boat. In Kayaks , longer boats are more buoyant and easier to paddle than shorter boats. They also slice through the water more efficiently. The downside is long boats are harder and take longer to turn than short boats.

I'll give you and example. I have two boats. My river boat is a Pamlico 100. I use it in the Potomac river and other small boulder laden rivers. It's only 10', and doesn't have much of a keel. It turns easy! When I shooting ledges and riffles I can turn quick to avoid hazards in the water.

I also have a 12'8" Hurricane Skimmer. It's much easier to paddle, and faster than the Pamlico. It tracks straight but doesn't turn nearly as fast. I use that boat for bigger water. Lakes and the Lower Potomac where you have to paddle a while to get to and between spots.

I like the suggestion of a Tarpon 120 for general purpose use. 12' is a nice length. You can still turn it and it paddles nicely. That hull is a very proven and excellent design. I had one for years and just recently sold mine so I could get a lighter weight boat. I wouldn't select it I only fished the Upper P and Susky for smallies. Nor would I pick it for just the Bay. But for doing both I can't think of many other boats would be better.

Happy hunting. Your'e a high schooler and you have lots of great adventures to look forward to! Enjoy it!
            Hurricane Skimmer 128
            WS Pamlico 100

Comment

thanks again for all the insight. I was looking at the ascend FS12T sit on top. I've read nothing but positive reviews and at $499 is in my price range. does anyone have this kayak and could tell me their personal thoughts if I should keep looking or purchase?

Comment

I heard it takes on water, but not sure if it was defective or not http://www.snaggedline.com/showthrea...th-fs12t-kayak. What exactly is your price range and what type of fishing do you plan on using the kayak for.
                Ocean Kayak Trident 13: Sand

Comment

For about the same money you can find a better quality used SOT, especially in the fall and winter months...
                  "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
                  2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
                  "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
                  Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Originally posted by M_Duong60 View Post
                    I heard it takes on water, but not sure if it was defective or not http://www.snaggedline.com/showthrea...th-fs12t-kayak. What exactly is your price range and what type of fishing do you plan on using the kayak for.
                    thanks for that link, definitely don't wanna be sinking. but I just wanna be able to put my boat out and fish for anything, but mostly bass

Comment

Originally posted by HotemB15 View Post
                      thanks again for all the insight. I was looking at the ascend FS12T sit on top. I've read nothing but positive reviews and at $499 is in my price range. does anyone have this kayak and could tell me their personal thoughts if I should keep looking or purchase?
                      A buddy of mine just picked a used one up and took it out for the first time last friday. It paddled well and he didn't have any issues with it, but that was only his first trip.
                      Jeff
                      Life's Short, Fish Hard
                      Malibu X-Factor
                      Ocean Kayak Frenzy

Comment

Don't get hooked on brands but rather look at convenience. After you evaluate the different brands (because you will look) think about how and where you will use it (fishing I Hope). The big question you will need to answer is...How Am I going to get it there? If you get at 13 footer and you have a smart cart (This is an example just for effect) then you will have a problem transporting it. Get my point. Do you research and shop around. Good luck and welcome aboard.

Comment

Working...
                        X