• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do you like the new gun?

Looks windy this Sat.
    2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
    2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
    2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

Originally posted by tufnik View Post
      How do you like the new gun?

Looks windy this Sat.
      It is a good gun for the price. It's powerful. I couldn't see the shaft when it was launched. The open muzzle is new to me. But I will get used to it. I just hope the water is clear so I can try the fish 10' away (6'-7 with the old gun)
      Joe
      Fish like there's no tomorrow.
      Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)
      https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKb...JtmNcSJBi2Sazg

Comment

You guys might have answered this already in the thread, but I'm too lazy to go back and re-read every post! LOL What are you guys using to keep the yaks to the rocks? Does it hold well during re-entry? I've bee thinking of a way to sorta anchor up while fishing the walls. You know for us old fashioned paddlers! LOL

Comment

Dson05 uses something that kayak kevin makes...Not sure what they use for spearfishing but it's basically a mini wreck anchor and when I fished with him it worked well. http://kayakkevin.com/home/kayakwreckanchors.html he used the 24 oz version.
          Ocean Kayak Trident 13: Sand

Comment

Gotcha... I was wondering if they would work over there... just never tried one.

Comment

MyT we tied onto existing ropes in the rocks and then dove down and placed our anchors in the rocks below so that they wouldn't get snagged. Mine moved and got stuck but fortunately the 30lb mono broke and it popped free.
              Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
              Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
              https://www.backyardboats.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Redfish12 View Post
                MyT we tied onto existing ropes in the rocks and then dove down and placed our anchors in the rocks below so that they wouldn't get snagged. Mine moved and got stuck but fortunately the 30lb mono broke and it popped free.
                MYT,
                I suggest not anchor the kayak. Once the anchor line got cut off right after the last dive because of the sharp edge of a rock. There was no boaters that day. I got pretty lucky that day because it happened 2 minutes after I got back on the kayak. The phone was on a kayak. After that I dropped two anchors in 25-30' of water. One day both break lines broke off and a boater drove me 300' to my kayak. The break lines broke not by the current. It happened by the lift caused by the high waves, I think. After that one of the anchors got stuck. I dove and found that the anchor was stuck in a deep, long crevice. I cut the anchor line before I ascended.

Now I dive and plant two 3lb grappling anchors in 10-15' of water, no break lines (from bow and stern). The anchor line is made of a 10' wire cable and a 10-15' hi-biz Polypropylene Twine. I dove and fetch the anchor when I am done. I also carry third anchor that I plant on the wall above the water. I use the third anchor when there is no existing rope from the wall.

Imagine that we lost many tog rigs with 1-3 OZ sinkers. Any anchor system will get caught on the bottom of the wall areas.

Joe
                Last edited by ComeOnFish; 08-19-2013, 05:50 AM.
                Fish like there's no tomorrow.
                Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)
                https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKb...JtmNcSJBi2Sazg

Comment

Working...
                X