Attention: Anyone with fs12t kayak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Attention: Anyone with fs12t kayak

hey guys if anyone is on here with an fs12 t kayak and does bay fishing be veryyy veryy careful. i took my kayak out a week or 2 ago with daddyg and his son and found myself sinking outta fort armastead park. i later found out at work that fs12ts arent sealed properly. the hull filled up with water and the front of the kayak was covered in water. for now on i take that kayak in fresh calm water. smiths marina would prob be the only acception for brackish water. definately an eye opener. i didnt see anywhere in the manual do not use in the bay or rough conditions.

sounds defective....return it.
    14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
    2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

Comment

im pretty sure thats just the way they are sealing it. tried to return it last year and my work (bass pro) put marine culk around a lot of the spots that were leaking but it clearly didnt help

Comment

What in the world would be "sealed" below or near waterline?
        14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
        2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

Comment

dunno i just know the hull filled up and the top filled up. i was sitting in water partially sunk with scupper plugs in hand and still sitting in a bunch of water. luckily there was a boat crabbing that was able to let me swim to there boat and even throw my kayak on board

Comment

Several years ago, I had hairline cracks around one of the scupper holes that allowed several gallons of water to enter the hull each trip. In order to find the cracks, I set the kayak upright on some supports and filled it partway with the garden hose. I could then look underneath and see where the water was dripping/oozing out. They were repaired by applying Goop. Unless you already know where the water is coming in, that might be a good next step.

Although taking on several gallons per trip was annoying but manageable, if the cracks had grown larger, the inflow of water would have increased over time.
            John Veil
            Annapolis
            Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

One would think that building a non-leaking boat would be near the top of the priority list.?
              Native Slayer 12
              Native Ultimate

Comment

tell me about it lol. for 500 bucks it should be a floater not a sinker. i kno the rivets are leaking (horrible design) i thought it was the horrible seal up front that pushes down to seal so they sent me a new one. low and behold everythings riveted down so u cant remove it anyway. i called ascend about it a while back and asked if it was ok to take in brackish water and kinda choppy water and my response was idk. my work refused to give me a new one and its now out of warranty.

Comment

My friend just purchased one a month ago and I almost picked one up. We'll see how his holds up.
                  Native Slayer 12
                  Native Ultimate

Comment

I was looking at that same boat a couple months ago and decided not to buy after reading reviews on the Bass Pro site and elsewhere about the hull filling with water. It's not just you, it's a poor design or build quality.

Mike
                    Mike
                    Feelfree Lure 11.5
                    Ocean Kayak Zest Two EXP

Comment

i woulda tried a little harder to return it rather then letting people who dont know a thing about kayaks culk it lol..

they returned mine without question when i worked there. I told ya last year to get rid of it from taking on water just sitting there.

Im sure theres a small crack some where plus the front hatch isnt sealed.

dont scare everyone else out of it tho.. lol even cars arent mad perfect.. theres always at least 1 defect.
                      Zach Moore
                      Delaware Paddle Sports Fishing Team
                      Fishal Custom Baits Pro Staff
                      Bait Towel Pro Staff
                      2017 Hobie Pro Angler 12
                      YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSa...8WkC2WzHhAjVaQ

Comment

im fine for the most part in freshwater but anything tidal or a little bit of waves fill up the damn thing. its out of warranty now anyway so nothing i can do

Comment

Do the upside down trick. fill it with water.. or right side up see if you see if coming out of anything
                          Zach Moore
                          Delaware Paddle Sports Fishing Team
                          Fishal Custom Baits Pro Staff
                          Bait Towel Pro Staff
                          2017 Hobie Pro Angler 12
                          YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSa...8WkC2WzHhAjVaQ

Comment

I know a few who have ventured out in one with no problems, I agree with BassMoore.

Comment

Working...
                            X