CHSP Triggers/Togs 8-3-13, Sat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by johnny View Post
    I was there too with a friend. We were in grey and green hobies.

we launched at 6am. we started fishing the outer wall west side using shrimp and got some action on tiny seabass and all sizes of oyster toads. we then switched to green crab and pulled in a 17" and 15" tog, and a trigger fish estimated 12". these all came within a 30 minute window around 9am. we originally wanted to use sand fleas, since that's what seemed to work last week for tog, but bill's didn't have fleas at 5:30am.

it was a great day on the water. i'm new to kayak fishing... i had to borrow my friend's kayak. I got to meet Joe and redfish. I probably saw you too tufnik, but didn't recognize you.

also, i don't know if you guys are into sashimi, but trigger sashimi is even better than tog!
    It was nice to meet you finally. I am glad you tried Sashimi and you agreed with me. Tog and Triggerfish are only ones (caught by kayak fishing) I prepare sashimi dishes because they are safe and good eating

Joe
    Fish like there's no tomorrow.
    Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKb...JtmNcSJBi2Sazg

Comment

i think that might be a little too long for the viz conditions. Have you looked at the cressi 45? they have them in stock at dive quarters in VB. If you have not been to dive quarters i would check them out. Have you considered just going to a stronger or newer band or changing out the spear tip? I got all new bands and a paralyzer tip from dive quarters store. The paralyzer tip works great.
      Interstate Kayak Fishing

Comment

Originally posted by Pinch View Post
        i think that might be a little too long for the viz conditions. Have you looked at the cressi 45? they have them in stock at dive quarters in VB. If you have not been to dive quarters i would check them out. Have you considered just going to a stronger or newer band or changing out the spear tip? I got all new bands and a paralyzer tip from dive quarters store. The paralyzer tip works great.
        I went to dive quarters in VB once to meet MALFC members. I will check Cresi 45. I have replaced the band on my gun with stronger one. Two guys at the outer wall had Mako 60cm and they recommended the gun to me. I never used paralyzer tip. But I have two of them and next time I will bring a paralyzer tip .

Thank for the info
        joe
        Fish like there's no tomorrow.
        Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)
        https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKb...JtmNcSJBi2Sazg

Comment

Hey Johnny, that looks phenomenal! How did you prep the sashimi?

Originally posted by johnny View Post
          I was there too with a friend. We were in grey and green hobies.

we launched at 6am. we started fishing the outer wall west side using shrimp and got some action on tiny seabass and all sizes of oyster toads. we then switched to green crab and pulled in a 17" and 15" tog, and a trigger fish estimated 12". these all came within a 30 minute window around 9am. we originally wanted to use sand fleas, since that's what seemed to work last week for tog, but bill's didn't have fleas at 5:30am.

it was a great day on the water. i'm new to kayak fishing... i had to borrow my friend's kayak. I got to meet Joe and redfish. I probably saw you too tufnik, but didn't recognize you.

also, i don't know if you guys are into sashimi, but trigger sashimi is even better than tog!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]8369[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]8370[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]8371[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]8372[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]8373[/ATTACH]
          -Mustafa
          ابو مسقوف AbuMasgouf (Aboo-Mas-goof ): Fish Roast Papa
          2016 Hobie Outback
          2012 Hobie Revolution 13
          "Be humble to whomever you learn from and whomever you teach."-- Imam al-Sadiq (as)

Comment

Mustafa,

I bleed the fish onsite. Then I gut and fillet the fish, being careful not to get any blood on the meat. I usually use up a lot of paper towels to make sure the meat doesn't touch the blood, skin, etc. Then using a very sharp knife, cut into thin slices. You can see my friend slicing the fish in the background of one of my pics. Trigger and tog can get a bit chewy when it's so fresh, so it's best to slice into thin strips. We usually plate the slices on a plate of ice covered with plastic wrap, then chill in the freezer for 5-10 minutes. Dip the fish in sauce and eat. I also like to drink sake or soju with my sashimi.

Originally posted by AbuMasgouf View Post
            Hey Johnny, that looks phenomenal! How did you prep the sashimi?

Comment

Thanks for the info bro! I will have to try sashimi next time I catch triggerfish!
              -Mustafa
              ابو مسقوف AbuMasgouf (Aboo-Mas-goof ): Fish Roast Papa
              2016 Hobie Outback
              2012 Hobie Revolution 13
              "Be humble to whomever you learn from and whomever you teach."-- Imam al-Sadiq (as)

Comment

thanks for the spearfish reports! very cool and i'd like to try it myself. but doubt if it's in the cards.

Comment

Wow, nice knife work, Johnny. Did you or your friend go through sashimi chef training?

Yeah, all that spear talk gets me psyched up....lol
                  2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
                  2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
                  2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

Whats the table fare like on trigger fish? Similar to tog? Tog is awesome.
                    Hobie Outback
                    WS Tarpon
                    IG: #liveyakfish

Comment

Working...
                    X