No announcement yet.

CHSP Triggerfish 7/31

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Did you have a bad experience with frozen fleas for tog? The ones I used were actually frozen beforehand and they seemed fine. Not sure how they will hold up being thawed twice though. If so I will use the ones I have left exclusively for chum.
    Ocean Kayak Trident 13: Sand

Comment

Also make note that Triggers are like Dolphin fish.

Hook one and keep it in the water next to the boat and than BAIL them with a second rod as the school will stay with the hooked fish.

This is a really good way to catch a nice stringer in a short period.

Meadeo
      2012 135 Wilderness Systems Angler

Comment

How to catch sand flee?

It looks I can fish this Sat.
        I am bringing a small potting shovel to see if I can dig up some sand flee for Tog (of course after stopping by Bill's for insurance). Where do dig, wet sand, in the water, or dry sand?

How do I keep them alive?

Joe
        Fish like there's no tomorrow.
        Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)
        https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKb...JtmNcSJBi2Sazg

Comment

I have never dug at CHSP but I would assume that you will most likely find horseshoe crab eggs (little round black things) in the sand. You find them by digging in the wet sand. In my experience I've had the most luck where the water constantly washes onto the shore. Personally I don't think a shovel is necessary I like to use my hands so I can feel them and sometimes you can cut them in half with the shovel.

to keep them alive in a plastic bag and keep them chilled. They will also last a while in the fridge if you have leftover bait, but you could always chop them up for chum.
          Last edited by M_Duong60; 08-01-2013, 06:18 PM.
          Ocean Kayak Trident 13: Sand

Comment

Nice job. I think you're becoming a fishing machine, Minh.

Not sure what the frozen bait problem is. I've used frozen baits: shrimp, blue crab, green crab and clams. All catch tog. As I learned from Joe, cooked shrimp also work. I also caught sheepies on frozen sand fleas, green crab and clams. I usually use a tandem rig with two different baits to see what the preference is.
            2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
            2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
            2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

Originally posted by ComeOnFish View Post
              I am bringing a small potting shovel to see if I can dig up some sand flee for Tog (of course after stopping by Bill's for insurance). Where do dig, wet sand, in the water, or dry sand?

Joe
              I was curious about this myself, so I checked YouTube and found a really informative video posted by 311POPE, search for "Catching Sand Fleas". Or use the following link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JBHJHwIwm40

Comment

Wow nice job. I am going in a couple weeks and cant wait to try my hand. I can vouch for the sand fleas at CHSP a guy next to me surf fishing was using a rake to collect them. Not around the pier but on the ocean side in the surf. I am new to tog fishing but all the experienced fishermen ive asked have said sand fleas are excellent bait for tog.
                2014 Hobie Outback

Comment

sand fleas can drown in their own pee. So keep them in dry sand or just a bucket with holes.

Originally posted by ComeOnFish View Post

Joe

Comment

Joe, want to carpool?
                    Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
                    Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
                    https://www.backyardboats.com/

Comment

Retroyellow,
                      Thank you for the sand flee video. I may enjoy catching sand flee more than togging part as I enjoy catching spot for live-lining.

Joe
                      Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)

Comment

Originally posted by Redfish12 View Post
                        Joe, want to carpool?
                        Yes.

Have I paid for my favorite rod? Why am I asking? You probably forgot about it.

Joe

Comment

Joe, Lewes Harbor Marina sells sand fleas LIVE by the quart or Pint. I would go this route. Digging for sand fleas is much easier with the mess rake. The best place to find them is in the surf line. You will see little ripples and bumps where they are digging back into the sand. If you are lucky enough to find a pod you will see their gills protruding out of the sand filtering the water as it washes over them. They are sensitive to vibrations and will go deep on you if there are alot of people around or the sense you getting to close. I have had harvested them @ CBBT and in NC. I have never seen them in any numbers @CHSP and believe if they are there it would be more likely for them to concentrate oceanside.
                          Interstate Kayak Fishing

Comment

Originally posted by M_Duong60 View Post
                            Did you have a bad experience with frozen fleas for tog? The ones I used were actually frozen beforehand and they seemed fine. Not sure how they will hold up being thawed twice though. If so I will use the ones I have left exclusively for chum.
                            I was catching tog on fresh fleas at the Rt. 50 bridge last fall one after the other, ran out of bait, so I pulled out some frozen ones I had as backup. Dropped them down and couldn't get a nibble. After a half hour of nothing, I decided to go flip some rocks that were exposed to pickup whatever little crabs I could find (actually found a lot of nice sized crabs!) and headed back out to the same exact spot I was catching before I switched to frozen fleas. Fish city again on every drop...

I've never been to CHSP, but I dig fleas all the time for surf fishing. I would target the ocean side beaches than the bay side. Low tide is obviously the easiest time because you can start at the water line and work your way up until you find the zone they are in. Sometimes they are right under the surface, other times 8-10" down. I usually have a regular old shovel with me. Dig a scoop, toss it onto dry sand, and scoop up all the fleas. Just throw them in a plastic tub with some damp sand and your good to go. With damp sand they'll hold in the fridge for several days. If the sand is wet I've had a lot of them die in the fridge. When the tide is high and the shovel doesn't work so well you can dig them up fairly easy just using your hand.
                            Brian

Comment

I went to Lotte and got plenty of shrimp for two. I know shrimp have been very good for Triggerfish at CHSP wall. I could catch many triggerfish if I hadn't tried spearfishing. But Again, I am not sure yet for summer Tog in the area. When I dove I see many tog when the water is clear. And according to other spearfishermen, Togs are plentiful.

I didn't buy blue crab today assuming we can buy sand flee at some bait stores. I may try to dig for sand on the beach in front of the outer wall if I can't buy sand flee at the bait stores.

Joe

Comment

Pinch,
                                What model (length, action and weight class) is your Trevala? I wasn't sure about the actual model you have.
                                Joe

Comment

Working...
                                X