Bay Bridge from SPSP - 07/30

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bay Bridge from SPSP - 07/30

The date should be 07/29. On first cup of coffee!

I went out Sunday morning with group but had some issues with the setup I tried. So I decided to go back Monday evening with a few changes. The trolling motor setup worked great this time and I did not pick up my paddle at all last night. The 30lb thrust motor would move my kayak at 3.5 mph at the highest setting. I think the Hobies go faster than that! Maybe I need a higher thrust motor for this yak. I got on the water at 7pm. The plan was to catch a couple of Spot then book for the rockpile and try live lining since I didn't get that far on Sunday. I hadn't hand tied any bottom rigs before, so I read up on that and bought some new hooks to target the Spot. It worked like a charm. Caught a small Croaker and three Spot quickly.I did not have a livewell or bucket, so I just put the Spot on a stringer until I started traveling. Then I just pulled them in and put them next to my scupper holes where I had a small puddle due to the battery and engine weighing down the back of the boat. There wasn't much water there, but enough for the Spot to stay alive for the ride.

I trolled a Rat L Trap out towards the rockpile. No bites from trolling. I got near the first bridge piling in front of the rockpile and was marking fish so I dropped a Spot in and decided to try jigging also. No bites. I did not add any weight to the Spot and I think that was a mistake. Do you guys normally add weight when live lining? I did not have much time so I only used one Spot and released the others. I tried casting at a few of the pilings on the way back in, but had to hurry as the sun had already gone down. It was a beautiful calm night though. I ran into another kayaker back at the launch and we chatted a bit. He had no luck last night either.

SPSP is one of my closest launches. I look forward to getting to know the bridge well.
    Last edited by Nitefly; 07-30-2013, 08:42 AM. Reason: Wrong date
    2013 Yellow Hobie Outback
    Kayak Fishing Blog - Cymbula Piscator

throw topwater lures next time in shallow water, dont waste your time livelinin

Comment

Do I need to look for surface commotion first? I didn't see any of that last night that I could recognize.
      2013 Yellow Hobie Outback
      Kayak Fishing Blog - Cymbula Piscator

Comment

noooo, just throw into fishy looking areas. most breakers in the summer are tiny and if u throw topwater u will catch little ones,

Comment

Working...
        X