Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 07/29 - Piscataway Creek

The date was actually 07/28.

On Sunday, after a fun but unproductive fishing-wise trip to the Bay bridge, I decided to try a new Snakehead spot in southern MD. The Piscataway has easy kayak access from a launch at the end of Wharf road near Fort Washington. I scoped it on a map and figured no one would be there and it would be a quiet trip. I arrived at the launch around 5:30pm and found a group of people drinking beer and playing cornhole. Kinda like a tailgate for the sunset! The natives were friendly though. They asked a couple questions about what I was fishing for and one guy even said he had seen Snakehead and pointed to the right of the launch. Cool!

Once I get out on the water, I found it to have good visibility, but shallow and very weedy. I don't know what that particular grass is, but there was a lot of it from the launch to the east except where the water flowed out of the narrow creek. As I got halfway across the river, I see ominous clouds rolling in out of the west and see my first lightning, so I paddled a bit faster to the other shore, threw on my poncho and hung out under some trees until the storm passed. It didn't take long and I was back out on the water. There was lots of Spatterdock on the eastern side and it walled a small creek that goes all the way to 210. I tried to find channels in the grass to throw a frog into, but no action. I tossed into the Spatterdock. Nothing. I know fish sometimes nestle down in this grassy stuff, but I'm not so sure they bite much when in it! I moved on into the creek where the main channel was free of the grass, but the water muddied a bit from the current. I had just purchased a UV visible spinner and had that on my UL rig, so I tossed that in the middle of the creek just to change things up. Boom, but it was a catfish. 4 casts later, another catfish. These were a lot fine on the light tackle, but the last one mangled the lure a bit, so I put it up and started dragging a plastic frog and casting the top water frog ahead of me on up the stream. Nothing was interested in the topwater, but I hooked a 16" bass on the slow dragged plastic frog.

That was it. I headed back to the van with no Snakehead. But I got the skunk of the day off and tied my personal best bass so far! And I got to see a nice sunset on the paddle back. There were some inebriated locals hanging at the launch when I got back. They offered to help me pack up and were eager to talk about my kayak and the fish I caught. Very nice people, but I hope they lived close by!

2013-07-30T07-53-50_0.jpg

2013-07-30T07-53-50_1.jpg
    Last edited by Nitefly; 07-30-2013, 08:43 AM. Reason: Wrong date
    2013 Yellow Hobie Outback
    Kayak Fishing Blog - Cymbula Piscator

Yes, very amiable drunks at Piscataway. Bill/ictalrus and I were highly entertained by a group of inebriated fisherman/cornhole players on the south side of the creek last year. Friendly, helpful, funny, surprisingly effective corn-tossers
    14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
    2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

Comment

The times I have been there during late summer it seems like after 10am the snakeheads disappear. First thing in the morning though they are all on top and hang out to the right of the launch by the houses.
      -Neil

Moken 13 Angler Deluxe

Comment

I've found the fishing to be far better, a little farther south in Mattawoman Creek. Piscattaway is sometimes very good in the spring, I've not found it very good through the summer months and early fall.
        HOBIE: 2012 PA-14 (Dune) & 2013 PA-14 (Yellow)

Comment

Last year one day I got into a pod of Stripers right at the mouth of Piscataway, There's stone breakwall along the old gravel pit. The inbound tide causes a nice flow into Piscataway and it wraps around the breakwall into the creek. I think it's a pretty good paddle from where you guys are launching though. You are way back into the creek. Is there any deeper water back there?

That's a nice bass BTW. WTG
          Hurricane Skimmer 128
          WS Pamlico 100

Comment

Originally posted by quikdrive View Post
            The times I have been there during late summer it seems like after 10am the snakeheads disappear. First thing in the morning though they are all on top and hang out to the right of the launch by the houses.
            Thanks for the tip. I may go back here sometime in the AM to see if they hit anything. High tide may make a difference as well.

Comment

Originally posted by bruce19365 View Post
              I've found the fishing to be far better, a little farther south in Mattawoman Creek. Piscattaway is sometimes very good in the spring, I've not found it very good through the summer months and early fall.
              Thanks! I love fishing the Mattawoman. This launch saves me 40 mins in the round trip home, but my first impression is that Mattawoman is a better place to fish too.

Comment

Originally posted by Runnin View Post
                Last year one day I got into a pod of Stripers right at the mouth of Piscataway, There's stone breakwall along the old gravel pit. The inbound tide causes a nice flow into Piscataway and it wraps around the breakwall into the creek. I think it's a pretty good paddle from where you guys are launching though. You are way back into the creek. Is there any deeper water back there?

That's a nice bass BTW. WTG
                Thanks! The water is pretty shallow. It narrows to a very small creek and there is a small channel in that. I didn't have my depth finder and vis was low in it, but I'd say 2-3 feet. Ill have to go left next time I check this place out from that launch and find that breakwall.

Comment

Working...
                X