No announcement yet.

Wow - 200th Member

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I would ABSOLUTELY love to bass fish in your lake ........... might be a great place for a M&G ........

Comment

Originally posted by the_kegs View Post
      No cells or personal electronics for me either. As you obviously know, it really stinks. Fortuantely, my job requires me to have access to all the networks so I'm one of the lucky ones with access to the net.

I've fought some pretty nasty headwinds with my current kayak that have pretty much worn me out. Does the Mirage drive significantly improve comfort vs paddling in heavy headwind conditions?

Kegs,

I have fished a old town sit-in, OK prowler and Revo, no comparison when it comes to the Revo in windy, choppy conditions by far the best fishing kayak. Can't say how it would stack up against a paddler if your weren't fishing but on several occasions I have trolled the Revo for four to five hours straight, only stopping to land a fish, or switch rods, lures.

Bryan

Comment

Don't those Mirage Anglers go for about $2,500? Even with 20% off that would still put me at $2,000. If I decide to put down my beer and attempt to keep my upper body in proportionate size with my lower body I can always still paddle it right?
        Yeah ........ and I think they went up in price this year ........... I haven't seen a PA for $1500 yet ........ if I did I'd buy it as long as it still had some warranty.

I got mine for $1700 w/new warranty but that's the best I've ever seen and it was on the 1st ones made that were used as a demo unit at the shows and over a year old ...... Most that I've seen are going for over 2k used.

Comment

After owning a sit inside kayak, I went and got an Outback. I'm pretty sure that I never go back to a paddle kayak again. Definitely not for fishing. I can do so many more things that I couldn't in a paddle style. As mentioned before, I can troll for hours continuously for stripers where I could never paddle that long. I also do a lot of bass fishing and for that it can't be beat. You can troll along the perimeter casting all the while...it's pretty awesome. And without all the splashing of the paddle you don't scare the fish. I've caught many fish from brush piles that was a rod's length away.

I got an '07 Outback, with a sail kit, plug in cart and the inflatable outrigger kit for $900 on Craigslist (I had to drive to Philly to get it though). There were a few of them on there in the early spring. In fact I missed one that I wanted but it worked out better in the end. You have to be willing to wait for the one you want and if you see it, you have to get it right away because they don't last. Because I had another kayak I wasnt in a super rush to get one. Based on some hull mods in later hobies I wouldn't get one before '07 if a used one is something you would consider.

Good luck. There are a lot of good folks around here that have a lot of info that they love to share.

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
          Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
          Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
          Kokatat Pro Staff
          Torqeedo Pro Staff
          Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
          Alan

Comment

Not totally committing yet but the ability to be able to move and handle a rod at the same time does seem like a dream come true. I probably never would have warmed up to the idea on dropping $2,500 on a new hobby/venture but $1,400-$1,500 I think I can live with. When I think about the frustrations I have had fishing with my current kayaks on small water they mostly stem from trying to maneuver and stay in one general area while fishing. Going to sleep on it but I'm really leaning towards a Revo. Need to decide before the end of the month so I don't miss out on that 20% off.

MM,

We could certainly set something up for a meet and greet. Parking can be tight at the beach/launch and a parking pass in needed or you will be towed in the blink of an eye. I have 3 passes and could come up with one or two more. There is always parking at the house but we would have to shuttle the yaks into a small number of vehicles.
            Last edited by the_kegs; 01-24-2011, 09:31 PM.
            Digital Livewell

Comment

Seems like we are getting enough bass kayakers to plan a bass M&G or even a bass fishing tournament on Marshy Hope Creek over here on the eastern shore.

http://ezinearticles.com/?The-Nantic...ion&id=2199103

Might even run across, pike, muskie, pickerel or alligator gar

Comment

Memory: Do you know if by chance they have a yellow PA in Easton. Last time I talked to them they only had the sand color.

Kegs: Don't worry, these guys are normally not so talkative or excited about new members. Its winter and they are not getting out fishing as much as they should. They will be ok come spring. For me the anti-depressants, the thorazine and the Johnny Walker do trick.
                Last edited by DOGFISH; 01-24-2011, 10:49 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by DOGFISH View Post
                  Memory: Do you know if by chance they have a yellow PA in Easton. Last time I talked to them they only had the sand color.

Kegs: Don't worry, these guys are normally not so talkative or excited about new members. Its winter and they are not getting out fishing as much as they should. They will be ok come spring. For me the anti-depressants, the thorazine and the Johnny Walker do trick.
                  Don't know .......

Comment

Not totally committing yet but the ability to be able to move and handle a rod at the same time does seem like a dream come true. I probably never would have warmed up to the idea on dropping $2,500 on a new hobby/venture but $1,400-$1,500 I think I can live with. When I think about the frustrations I have had fishing with my current kayaks on small water they mostly stem from trying to maneuver and stay in one general area while fishing. Going to sleep on it but I'm really leaning towards a Revo. Need to decide before the end of the month so I don't miss out on that 20% off.

MM,

We could certainly set something up for a meet and greet. Parking can be tight at the beach/launch and a parking pass in needed or you will be towed in the blink of an eye. I have 3 passes and could come up with one or two more. There is always parking at the house but we would have to shuttle the yaks into a small number of vehicles.

Might want to look at both the Revo and the Outback ........ or save some money in the long run and just get the PA because that's what you really want and that's what you'll eventually get ....... it'll save you the money you spend on a Revo today and give you a couple of more years of enjoyment of fishing from what you really want .......... just a thought ........ but you will love the Hobies regardless of the model .....

Comment

Hey Kegs ......... the KAyak Fishing Mag has an excellent article on the pedal vs the paddles ........ summary pedals are faster, turn faster, are more powerful, use less energy and allows much much more actual fishing time

Comment

Kegs:. For me the anti-depressants, the thorazine and the Johnny Walker do trick. [/QUOTE]

alorrazapam, daddys little helper. JW Red or Black?

Comment

Originally posted by surfdog View Post
                          Kegs:. For me the anti-depressants, the thorazine and the Johnny Walker do trick.
                          alorrazapam, daddys little helper. JW Red or Black?[/QUOTE]

No wonder you want and pedal yak .......... can't paddle straight after that .......

But ......... that 's why we all have pedals .....

Comment

Thanks for all of the helpful feedback everyone. Definitely looking like I'm going to be pitching tent in the Hobie camp. Hopefully by this weekend. I just need to do my taxes first and make sure I don't owe too much before I start flinging cash around.
                            Digital Livewell

Comment

Well, the decision has been made. After much internal debate, I went with an Ocean Kayak Trident 13 Angler. Besides being somewhat into the fitness element of paddling I'm also attracted to the traditional element and sheer simplicity. Even though I have other kayaks I wanted to have the ability to take whatever I bought on the upper Potomac where running into rocks is a common occurrence. The new rod-pod was an attractive feature as well, something I felt I would miss on the Hobie. Cost also played a bit of a role. Fishing the bay by kayak is a new venture for me. At this point I don't know what works best for me and what doesn't, for all I know, it might not be as attractive to me as it seems. Going with a capable boat that was nearly half the cost of the Revolution seemed like the smart thing to do at this point. Leaves me some money for accessories too. I do already miss the idea of propelling myself while holding a rod and/or drinking a beer though....
                              Digital Livewell

Comment

Congratz on the purchase! Good call on the $$$ savings, since it is a new hobby. I actually missed paddling yesterday, the miragedrive takes away a bit of the fun for me which I did not fully expect, though I did enjoy cheetos and a redbull whilst trolling for several hours.

Comment

Working...
                                X