Wow - 200th Member

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wow - 200th Member

Just noticed The Kegs signed up as 200th member!

Thanks stupidjet and grilled sardine for putting this forum together. I for one really enjoy the good info, comments and sometime laughs.

Welcome Kegs, interesting name?

Thanks for the welcome, I had planned on making an intro post today so this makes the perfect segue.

Great forum you guys have going on here. It took me a while to find it. Wasted a bunch of time on other forums not dedicated to fishing MD and the Bay before found my way here. A youtube video search for Chesapeake Kayak Stripers lead me here. Anyway, glad I found it. I live on private 210 acre lake out near Frederick(Lake Linganore) so most of my fishing is done there for Large Mouth Bass. I grew up around the bay and since moving to Frederick have really missed fishing it...especially for Stripers. Not only are they fun to catch, but they are delicious. There is no other fish I would rather eat. Even though it's very convenient to fish at my home lake, this year I I'm looking to expand my horizons. A few months ago I caught an episode of a fishing show where the guys were fishing marlin from kayaks in pretty big water. This got me thinking about fishing for Bay Stripers from a kayak. Until I saw that show and did some searching online, it's something I had never really considered. I didn't know people were fishing for big fish, in big water from kayaks. I work in the Ft Meade area so I'm relatively close to the Bay M-F. I'm hoping to turn this into not only into a weekend thing but something I can occasionally do after work. Only problem is I have so many questions. Currently I have two sit-in kayaks but neither is going to be suitable for bay fishing. Been looking at an Ocean Kayak Prowler 13 or on the cheaper side one the Ascend FS12T Kayaks offered by Bass-Pro. I should be pretty good on the actual fishing tackle and rigging techniques needed but have no idea how I should be rigging the kayak and what else I should be carrying for safety. I am especially confused/concerned about what to wear. Thanks again for the welcome. The forum search is proving invaluable in my research/preparation.

Oh, BTW. My last name is Kegley, hence the forum name the_kegs....
    Digital Livewell

Comment

Glad you explained that, I thought you would be bringing the beer. Welcome. Sounds like you have all the usual questions. Well this is the place for the answers. There are lots of striper fisherman here, so you will be up to speed in shourt fashion. Can't go wrong with an OC kayak. Of course there are alot of Hobie guys here that will try to lure to the dark side. Wow, that should start some furry. Again, welcome.

PS: I know, 200, thats great.

Comment

I do brew my own beer and have a close family member who works for bud so me bringing beer with me where ever I go is a pretty common occurrence. One of my family members duties is setting up team/organization sponsorships and such. If they sponsor kickball leagues a fishing club probably wouldn't be out of the question.

The Mirage drive on the Hobie kayaks is definitely intriguing but I'm not sure I'm willing to drop so much money on something I know relatively little about right out of the gate.
        Digital Livewell

Comment

I've heard good things about that lake, lots of lmb.

I work in the same area and will be heading to the bay bridge after work as much as possible this summer so let me know if you ever want to go.

Any chance you went to VT or have a family member that did, I used to drink with a guy named kegs that my Fredrick roommates knew too. I believe he also worked at NS like me... Small world if so!
          Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
          Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
          https://www.backyardboats.com/

Comment

Oh, I don't think anyone here drinks beer while they are kayaking.

Comment

Its the main reason I got a torque. Damn paddling interfering with beer drinking.
              <insert witty comment here>

Comment

Originally posted by MetroMan View Post
                Its the main reason I got a torque. Damn paddling interfering with beer drinking.
                ...and that comes from the most interesting man in the world.

Me too, for the electric. Who ever heard of trolling without a beer in your hand.

Comment

Originally posted by the_kegs View Post
                  I do brew my own beer and have a close family member who works for bud so me bringing beer with me where ever I go is a pretty common occurrence. One of my family members duties is setting up team/organization sponsorships and such. If they sponsor kickball leagues a fishing club probably wouldn't be out of the question.

The Mirage drive on the Hobie kayaks is definitely intriguing but I'm not sure I'm willing to drop so much money on something I know relatively little about right out of the gate.
                  Hey dude ............ since this is a drinking club with a YAKing problem ....... ...
                  Well ........ let's just say with a name like KEGS, you'll fit right in .........

Just kidding ........ welcome aboard !!!!!! ( but don't forget the keg !!!!)

as far as the Mirage drive ......... please DON'T try one or you will never be the same .......... it's like the river STYX .... once you cross you can NEVER go back .......... it's why Redfish12(Mikie) refuses to try mine and soooo many others like me have fallen under it's spell .........

Also a beer sponsorship makes you club President ..........

Welcome aboard Mr President

Comment

i just wanted to throw this in here. it looks like there is no work getting done by the kayak fishing community at their places of business today. there have been more people on today than i have seen since i joined. cheers to sticking it to the man!
                    Link to fishing vid, oldie but goodie.http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...4894489669049#

Comment

Welcome aboard! You didn't by chance used to drive a Frontier did you?

TJ

Comment

Redfish,

Linganore is definitely a good fishery. Most days I have the lake to myself. Average Bass is about 3lbs with the occasional 5-6 pounder. If you commit to fishing big lures there are up to 10 pounders to be had. Haven't landed anything over 7 myself but have seen pictures of the real big boys. Anyone who is in the area and interesting in headed out with me is welcome. On kayaks or on my 10ft electric pond hopper. I didn't go to VT but everything else sounds right....very strange. We will have to setup some after work excursions when I get everything setup and it gets warmer.

Memory,

I do love the idea of having both hands available to fish or reach for a beverage. If I could find a used one for sale in the sub $1,500 range it would probably be mine....

Wouldn't a Torque or Trolling motor potentially set you up for a BUI?
                        Digital Livewell

Comment

TJ. I did have a Frontier. This the TJ I knew from ECXC and other such events?
                          Digital Livewell

Comment

Small world! My old roommate's father fishes there (fish) and he said there are a ton of big bass there. I suck at lmb fishing, rather fish salt, least if you find some fish they usually want to eat. Hmm I seem to remember a time when I saw you coming out of Toms creek with a trout, still trout fishing?

I think the 20% off sale puts you in that range for a new one. I have an extra ride 135 if you want to develop a respect for paddling before you get on the easy street express.
                            Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
                            Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
                            https://www.backyardboats.com/

Comment

Red,

Still not sure I'm the same Kegs you know. I do trout fish in the early spring but don't know where Tom's Creek is.
                              Digital Livewell

Comment

Working...
                              X