New member of the snakehead club

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New member of the snakehead club

Launched at Mattingly Park Friday morning at 7:00 and started up the creek. First stop was at the first set of pads on the left and at 7:15 I hooked my first ever nsh on just my 4th cast. Magnificent strike and fight. I've heard that they see your lure coming, but never would have believed this. My cast went about 2' into the pads. When I started the retrieve through the pads I saw it coming. When the frog hit the water it exploded into the air and went 5' horizontal before splashdown. It dove under the grass and back into the pads pulling me and the Hobie behind it. My heavy braid was able to slice through the grass and my locked down drag let me pull the fish back out of the dense pads. Luckily my cheapo net didn't collapse, and I had my first in the yak.
    My first measured a little over 27"

Just 15 minutes later I was on my way toward the barges and saw a commotion again to the left out away from the pads. When I pedaled over toward it I saw a stream of bubbles on the surface. I had also heard that you can find them by their bubble trails. Tossed 2 casts to the area and another explosion. This one was much smaller and in the open, but still a terrific fight.
    My second measured 19"

I had met my goal, and now I'm hooked on these critters. I was determined to fish all day for them so I only carried frogs to fight the temptation to fish for other fish. I did have 2 hits and misses from bass and 2 other encounters with snakeheads where they came out on top. It was a long enjoyable day on the Mattawoman.

Nice day Bob. Congratulations on your first snakeheads. I hope to catch one this year.
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Good job! I hooked my first yesterday in mallows, but didn't have a net. I will have one before I go out there next time.
      WS ATAK

Comment

Congrats! I cant wait to get my next either.
        2013 Yellow Hobie Outback
        Kayak Fishing Blog - Cymbula Piscator

Comment

Wow that had to an adrenaline rush. Snakeheads are still on my bucket list.
          Mike and son Jeffrey Yellow Hobie Pro Angler
          Olive Hobie Outback

Comment

Wow, nice catches Bob! Makes me put LMB on the back burner
            2015 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
            2013 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
            2013 OCEAN KAYAK TRIDENT 13

JEREMY D

Comment

Last night I joined the snakehead club too. Since I fished from a power boat, the report is on the General board.
              John Veil
              Annapolis
              Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Sweet! Congrats!
                2013 Wilderness Systems Ride 115

Comment

Congrats!!!
                  Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
                  Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
                  https://www.backyardboats.com/

Comment

congrats! next time you head out there and need a fishing buddy let me know I would love to come and join the club...
                    Yellow Hobie Outback 2013
                    Asian Anglerz
                    TexasKayakFisherman

Comment

Working...
                    X