No announcement yet.

keeper-sized rockfish in the Severn

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No prob. Hmmm, a 5 gallon bucket will take up too much space in the kayak with my current set-up. I'll have to come up with something different. Maybe I can just drag a few around in the net while they're still in the water, and release and re-catch them periodically. Or, just use several at a time in a smaller bucket. I dont' want any dead unused menhaden.

Comment

BTW, another cast net story: A friend was at a work function at one of the pavilions at Sandy Point a few summers ago. He saw a guy with a cast net catch some bunker off one of the jettys there. He ground up one or two for chum, cut off some chunk bait, and proceeded to land two keeper rock, all in the space of about 30 min. It must have been an incoming tide. Rockfish love bunker, it's their favorite food.

Comment

Nice work, John! Glad you are getting into the keepers. I'm planning to head out for a scouting mission early tomorrow morning. Plan to fish from 6:30-8:30 or so. Hopefully I can get into them again.
        LL Bean (Perception) Manatee DLX Angler 9.5'
        Hobie Pro Angler 12

Comment

Nice going John! I really wish I had a body of water like the Severn in my backyard!! Although I am sure my wife thinks otherwise! LOL

Comment

Originally posted by Fishinfool View Post
            Yep, I will get out when I am able, and thanks again for the techniques and encouragement.

As I mentioned to someone in a private thread, I broke down and bought a 3.5 diameter 3/8 inch cast net which I hope to try this weekend. I saw many schools of peanut bunker boiling up early last Sunday. It only makes sense that a slightly larger fresh and natural bait could make a difference in targeting both keeper rockfish and maybe blues too. They are there for sure, and you and others have proven that.
            How small are these bunker? If they are peanuts you may end up gilling a good portion of them in the net. After that I doubt they will live, especially if they are being dragged in a net where they cant really swim.

Comment

Originally posted by Mbrupb View Post
              How small are these bunker? If they are peanuts you may end up gilling a good portion of them in the net. After that I doubt they will live, especially if they are being dragged in a net where they cant really swim.

I haven't tried it yet. Maybe I can keep 3 - 4 alive in a one gallon bucket.

Comment

Working...
              X