Severn River 7/3 - First time night fishing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Severn River 7/3 - First time night fishing

Launched from Jonas Green around 9pm into fairly calm water. First time fishing at night as my father's day gifts included a VisiCarbon Pro and a headlight. Fished until about 1am and came back in. Was trying for Croakers with bloodworms but only the Perch seemed interested.

Highlight of the night was this monster 13-incher! Lots of fun with the ultralight setup ...

20130703_230023.jpg

Anybody else on here do much night fishing from the kayak?
    Hobie Revolution

Nice report. I'll be heading to Jonas Green tomorrow am to try my luck.

I've stayed out after dark, but haven't done much night fishing in the yak. I have learned my way around the Severn well enough that I would feel comfortable out there after dark. Did you leave your car up at the top lot by the pier?

Comment

I've done a good bit of night fishing in Virginia Beach. I lived there a few years before moving here last year. I'd fish the lighted docks/piers and catch reds and stripers.

Comment

Originally posted by jsquare View Post
        Did you leave your car up at the top lot by the pier?
        Yeah ... Parked it in the upper lot and rolled down with my cart ... For what it's worth though, there were cars parked in the lower lot all night and no one came to check or enforce what the sign says ... Kinda surprised about that ...
        Hobie Revolution

Comment

Congratulations on the citation perch. Take the fish or the photo to a tackle shop, and you can register for a citation. This also gives you an entry into the 2013 Maryland Fishing Challenge.

The long sand bar at the mouth of Weems Creek often is very productive at dusk. There is shallow water over the bar and deeper water on the sides. I have caught rockfish, bluefish, perch, and croaker there at dusk through casting and by trolling light and ultralight rods. I never tried fishing after dark.

Originally posted by Striper_MIKE View Post
          Launched from Jonas Green around 9pm into fairly calm water. First time fishing at night as my father's day gifts included a VisiCarbon Pro and a headlight. Fished until about 1am and came back in. Was trying for Croakers with bloodworms but only the Perch seemed interested.

Highlight of the night was this monster 13-incher! Lots of fun with the ultralight setup ...

[ATTACH=CONFIG]7851[/ATTACH]

Anybody else on here do much night fishing from the kayak?
          John Veil
          Annapolis
          Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Working...
          X