St. Mary's River Redfish

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• St. Mary's River Redfish

I searched all about St Mary's county for a place to fish this morning. Elms beach closed for 4th (duh--a park closed on a holiday...so lame), PT Lookout choked with people, Wind howling at St Inigoes, too many powerboats to fish mouth of St Jerome's......I was getting discouraged. I headed towards Abells Wharf (on Breton Bay) where I assumed I could find somewhere out of the Wind. This path took me past ST Mary's college. The wind looked OK and I had never launched there before... so I said, "Why not?"
    I tried trolling the channel edges and grass edges without success. The jelly fish were thick and the wind had loosened the grass so it was generally miserable fishing constantly clearing weeds and jellies from hooks...but great to be out on the water anyway.
    I started seeing breakers near by and paddled hard but each time just as I got into casting range...POOF....they vanished! Typical. This went on for a couple hours. Only had one hook up and it got off before I saw if it was rock or bluefish.
    Eventually, I decided to troll back to the college fairly close to shore with 2 gold colored lures, chartreuse/gold drone spoon and a bass assassin paddle tail in green with gold fleck and orange tail. It was only a few miles from where Ronault caught his keeper reds. I heard gold lures and redfish go together. Could not be any worse than the luck I had so far.
    So still trying but not hopeful, I trolled at a normal speed in fairly shallow water. Then BOOM powerful fish on drone spoon. As I'm pulling the rod out of the holder,BOOM, paddletail gets hit. I decided to focus on the rod I had in my hand and assumed the other would disappear. As I brought the 20 inch redfish close to the boat the drag starts pulling on the other rod...the fish was still there! It ended up being 17.75 inches..just short.
    I trolled through the area again ans same thing happened. Spoon first, then paddletail....this time both just over 18.
    Sadly I could only keep one (I had to call Bill for a rules check)...but he was delicious (served here with beets and croaker).
    14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
    2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

Good deal, Kevin...gold works for me, too...glad you could find a place to fish, with some keepers....figured it would be too crowded to fish today- took in a movie and grilled some sausage...
    "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
    2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
    "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
    Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

I worked for them.....paddled minimum 12 miles. half of it into the wind.

Comment

Great catch, Kevin. Send some of those redfish up to the Severn. It was a real treat to have them in my local waters last summer. I hope they get here soon.
        John Veil
        Annapolis
        Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

John- they don't seem to have traveled as far up as last year. Might have something to do with all the rain and fresh water in the Bay. They are as far north in the Potomac as Aqualand/301 bridge and in the Bay up to St. Jerome's Creek. They are catching them in Tidewater- Rudee/Lynnhaven/Back River/Elizabeth River...but not in the upper Bay....

Comment

VERY nice! congrats on finding them

Comment

Originally posted by Southerly View Post
              VERY nice! congrats on finding them
              it was dumb luck........and I mean the dumbest of luck.

Comment

Congrats on all the keeper redfish. I got an 18" just north of Stewart's pier last Thursday so they are definitely starting to show up.

TTYaker

Comment

Great catch Kev. Theres something special about catching Reds. I like the pullage better than Stripers(rock).
                  2015 Outback
                  2016 Outback LE

GO PATRIOTS !!!

Comment

Redfish are a stronger fish, pound for pound. They run drag like a bigger fish than what you land- and they hit like a house on fire- they give you a hard fight at the beginning of the battle and put everything into the first part of the fight trying to get away. I love catching them and speckled trout- two of my favorite fish. I like fishing for them better than stripers, but stripers are usually available in the same waters, just a little deeper than the reds. I am headed out the door as we speak headed south to fish for them today- if successful I'll give a report tonight-

Comment

Sure looks yummy. Hey, I'll take "dumb luck," cuz that's how we catch fish a lot of times...lol.... Anyway, good work!
                      2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
                      2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
                      2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

Working...
                      X