Rockfish Keepers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rockfish Keepers

When you all hook a big rock that you through on the grill that night, how do you all keep them till you get back to shore? Cooler in the kayak? Stringer? Fish bag? I need input as I am interested in kayaking but before I drop the money on a kayak I want to figure out how things work. This is one topic I haven't been able to find much info on. All your expertise is greatly appreciated.
    Mike

"But by the grace of God I am what I am..." - I Cor. 15:10
    Native Watercraft Slayer Propel - Cooperhead

I usually put my keeper fish on my stringer until I back get in to the launch then I transfer them to my insulated COSTCO shopping bag and ice them down for the trip home- this has worked well for me- fresh fish, still alive when I ice them down-
    "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
    2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
    "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
    Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

I prefer just using a stringer. Some guys will use a cooler placed behind them in the storage well. But that is where I keep my fishing tackle and wheels for transport. I do make it a point to get some ice and throw it in a cooler before I arrive to my fishing destination. Then priority one when docking is to get the fish on ice!

I had rockfish stay alive on my stringer for hours, not much to worry about until it dies. Worse case scenario is to make a quick pitstop to the vehicle, drop off the fish, stretch the legs and head back out.
      2015 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
      2013 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
      2013 OCEAN KAYAK TRIDENT 13

JEREMY D

Comment

I keep a cooler full of ice in the car and use a stringer for the fish. If you get them on ice right out of the water they are just fine.

John
        John

Ocean Kayak Trident 13 Angler (Sand)
        MK Endura Max 55 backup power
        Vibe Skipjack 90

Graduate of the University of the Republic of South Vietnam, class of 1972

Comment

I have an old Precision Pak fish bag that I put ice in. It works well.
          Wilderness Systems Pro Staff since 2002.

Comment

The fish clip or stringer is nice when I'm anchored or drifting and not moving around a lot. When I'm trolling or on the move, I'll have a cooler bag packed with a few frozen jugs stashed in the front hatch so I don't have to tow a stringer behind me all day or keep having to pull the srtinger in or throw it out every time I move spots.
            Brian

Comment

I keep a cooler in the car to put them in when I get in. While out on the water, I use a stringer.

Outback 2015
              Maui

Comment

For all the stringer users. What if the fish dies and the water temp is warm? Make an effort to get back to the car so we can get it on ice?
                Hobie Outback
                WS Tarpon
                IG: #liveyakfish

Comment

I use the hobie hatch liner with frozen water bottles in it.
                  Interstate Kayak Fishing

Comment

I have a 26qt cooler that fits behind my milk crate, too big to fit in it, well I'd probably just call it a day if it was that good....
                    Jeff
                    Life's Short, Fish Hard
                    Malibu X-Factor
                    Ocean Kayak Frenzy

Comment

If I go further than a mile from JG or out to the rock piles on the BB, I take a insulated bag filled with ice. If I just want one 20 inch rock for dinner, I just catch it and head for the car.

I always fish first thing in the morning and am usually out of the water by 10. I also only take what me and my wife can eat that night. Die offs have never been an issue.

John
                      John

Ocean Kayak Trident 13 Angler (Sand)
                      MK Endura Max 55 backup power
                      Vibe Skipjack 90

Graduate of the University of the Republic of South Vietnam, class of 1972

Comment

I typically fish near my launch. After I get a keeper I bleed it out, toss it in, and head for the beach.
                        LL Bean (Perception) Manatee DLX Angler 9.5'
                        Hobie Pro Angler 12

Comment

Working...
                        X