ULTJ at the BB - 6/30/12

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ULTJ at the BB - 6/30/12

Ultra Light Tackle Jigging is my new favorite passtime. I use an ultralight Carbonlite BPS rod and a Shimano Ci4 1000 reel with 6lb flurocarbon line (not 4lb as I had previously said). It's not a cheap combo, but weighing in at 9oz total, it's like fishing with a feather... speaking of feathers, I caught a sea gull today! Crap.

I headed to the Bay Bridge today around 1pm right after the big storm rolled through. The weather had settled down and it was nice and rather flat out there. Tide was slack when I launched. I was well equipped for any type of fishing with 4 rods of various weights, but the ultralight with a 1/8oz jighead and 4" chartreuse gulp mullet got all the action.

I started by jigging the rocky bridge pilings just out of the SPSP launch.

On my second cast, *thump* and my drag goes out. A few minutes later, 16" striper in the boat. Next cast, same thing, another 16" striper. I caught some perch there too, but moved on to deeper waters for larger rockfish.

The current was really ripping when I got to the first big rockpile. I fished the south side of it mostly. There is a nice drop-off there from 0 to 45 feet over a distance of no more than 30 feet. I often see fish stacked up there on the FF. And I did today too.

I caught a bunch of perch, up to 11".

I hooked into a ray and knew I had no chance so after losing about 1/4 of my line, I cut the line. Then I got snagged. I whipped my rod to get it undone and as soon as I did, I felt a big thump and the reel started singing. "Oh no!", I thought, "another ray!" But then I felt some headshakes and knew it was a different type of beast. A few minutes later, 20" striper on the boat thank to my net. Nice!

Oh, and yeah, the bird.... I was casting as usual when this poor sea gull flies into my line in mid air. I saw my gulp spin around and wrap him up. He landed on the island, but it was clear he was not happy... I was looking for my line cutter, when he flew away and took another 1/4 of my line with him before I was able to cut the line. I saw my gulp fly away with him. I sure hope that bird got loose of my line. Crappy way to die otherwise.

On my way back, I caught another 16" by the rocky pilings and I thought of how beautiful the bay is.

Mike S.
    Hobie Outback
    Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers
    3D Printed Hobie Hatch Bucket

Hearing a good fish story is the next best thing to being there.

Comment

Yeah, nice story. I like that perch. Thanks for the report.
      2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
      2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
      2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

Awesome report Mike. Posts like this are why I visit this website.
        Last edited by DanMarino; 07-01-2013, 08:46 AM.

Comment

I love the report and the imagery of catching the gull
          I can't imagine the odds of doing that!

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
          Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
          Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
          Kokatat Pro Staff
          Torqeedo Pro Staff
          Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
          Alan

Comment

Great story! I have yet to get any decent sized perch this year. Yesterday I was at Quiet Waters park on the South River and could only catch small Croakers and large Spot. Go figure.

John
            John

Ocean Kayak Trident 13 Angler (Sand)
            MK Endura Max 55 backup power
            Vibe Skipjack 90

Graduate of the University of the Republic of South Vietnam, class of 1972

Comment

Do you got a picture of your set up

Comment

Way to go Mike. I fish year round with 6' ultralights and Stradic 1000 reels. A 16" striper puts a pretty big bend in those rods. Did you catch the 20" striper on that rig too?
                John Veil
                Annapolis
                Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Glad you guys liked the fish story

Originally posted by J.A. Veil View Post
                  Did you catch the 20" striper on that rig too?
                  Yep, sure did. Happy I had my net to get him in the boat.

Originally posted by lobo29 View Post
                  Do you got a picture of your set up
                  Nothing out of the ordinary about my setup.

Mike S.
                  Hobie Outback
                  Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers
                  3D Printed Hobie Hatch Bucket

Comment

Nice report Mike. I was out there earlier that morning. Headed out right before the showers rolled in. Managed to catch WP and croakers only though.

Outback 2015
                    Maui

Comment

Working...
                    X