Bay Bridge 6-29-13

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bay Bridge 6-29-13

I hit the water on Saturday evening, around 5pm at SPSP. Tide was incoming. The plan was to live line for rockfish. I paddled out in search of spot. I caught some small perch, small croaker, along with spot that were too big, and perch that were too big. I kept the small perch in the bait bucket.

In the middle of trying to catch bait, I hooked into my first ray ever. What a fun fight that was! I fought it for about 5 minutes. I got it up to the boat and finally broke the hook off.

I paddled out to a different location and dropped down a 6" spot. No takers. The spot began to go weak, so I set him free. I dropped down a small perch...same result. Nothing. I didn't have my fishfinder, so I didn't really search for marks at various pylons. I was just blindly dropping the baits.

In the meantime, I dropped down some bloodworms and pulled up croaker after croaker. It was a massive school of small fish. I eventually hooked into another ray too. Fun fight again.

I didnt catch my target species, but it was great evening on the water nonetheless. I caught perch, croaker, spot, and two rays. I brought home 2 perch and 1 croaker...which were filleted and fried that night.

<insert witty comment here>

Sounds like you had some good tugging on your lines. Thanks for the report.
    John Hostalka

Delaware Paddlesports and
    Hobie Fishing team member

2018 Camo Hobie Outback
    2015 Hobie Outback

Comment

My new motto is, "Ray, stay away!"

Way to actually fight it... i just cut the line now. Unless of course I've got an x-rap or something on the other end.
      Mike S.
      Hobie Outback
      Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers
      3D Printed Hobie Hatch Bucket

Comment

It was my first time, so I can definitely see myself cutting my losses if it were to happen too often for my liking.

Comment

Haha too funny...not only did I laugh when you jumped but I showed it to my wife and she found it funny as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Darnell View Post
            Haha too funny...not only did I laugh when you jumped but I showed it to my wife and she found it funny as well.
            It startled the crap outta me!

Comment

I always seem to have the $12.00 lure on the one the ray gets foul hooked on....
              "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
              2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
              "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
              Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

LOL. I haven't had to deal with one yet and hope it stays that way.

Outback 2015
                Maui

Comment

Originally posted by ronaultmtd View Post
                  I always seem to have the $12.00 lure on the one the ray gets foul hooked on....
                  That would make me mad!!!

Comment

Man you better check that rod for cracks!!! I just knew it was about to POP!!! LOL

Comment

Its quality gear guy. Ah hehehe

Comment

My W&McGill Sglas Flats Blue rods are nearly indestructible- Rays bend them double but no problem- I will not lose a $12.00 lure to a fifty cent ray-
                        "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
                        2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
                        "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
                        Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

It ain't no Ugly Stick! lls!!!

Comment

Hey Metro, man that ray was taking you on a ride! All kidding aside, I suggest you stop grabbing the line bare handed with big fish. I have an uncle who lost a couple of fingers to a yellow fin by grabbing the wire.

The video was just what I needed for some laughs though.

John
                            John

Ocean Kayak Trident 13 Angler (Sand)
                            MK Endura Max 55 backup power
                            Vibe Skipjack 90

Graduate of the University of the Republic of South Vietnam, class of 1972

Comment

Good tip John.

At first, I went to wrap the leader around my hand to pull the ray closer, but I quickly realized that wasn't a good idea.

Comment

Working...
                              X